In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ammo Question- berdan vs. boxer

lfi guylfi guy Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
I'm looking for more ammo for my G3 rifle (HK91 clone). I found some South African loads that are boxer primed,fairly recent & $250 for 500 (incl shipping).
The berdan cases are $265 for 500 price includes shipping. The berdan are 80's vintage from Germany. I've been shooting the South African with the berdan primers, also 80's stuff; very accurate.

The problem I have is the G3 chamber is fluted, so the empties can't be reused. I hate to ruin good reusable cases, on the other hand it is a little cheaper. The German stuff should also be accurate.

Opinions?

Comments

• Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Who said you can't reload brass shot in a G3? The fluted chamber does leave marks on the cases but they reload fine. I have never heard of anyone having a problem reloading this brass. Did I miss something?

Tim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I didn't know that- thanks, I'll try reloading them. [8D]

Next, anyone know where I can get primer sealer?
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Primer sealer is IMHO only needed for LONG term Storage in POOR conditions. I bet not more then 1 in 100 reloaders use it.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    lfi guy,

The chambers are fluted on all Heckler & Koch and CETME delayed-blowback, roller-locking firearms. The 12 longitudinal flutes extend rearward from the baffle lead to 0.25-inch from the chamber face. These flutes reduce the cartridge case's bearing surface and permit propellant gases to flow around the case acting as a lubricant to ease extraction. As delayed blowback does not offer the available power reserve of gas operation under adverse conditions and there is no primary extraction, chamber fluting is required for reliable functioning. Ejected cases are all marked with distinctive striations but, contrary to popular belief, this does not affect their potential for reloading. I have limited the number of reloads to a maximum of 4 and that's only after careful inspection of the each case each time. The greatest detractor is usually the damage to the case rim and extractor groove. Be sure to pay close attention to these two areas.

If it was my decision to make, I'd go with the Boxer primed cases in order to be able to reload easily. The Berdan primers can be a little tedious to reload although it can be accomplished.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Primer sealer is IMHO only needed for LONG term Storage in POOR conditions. I bet not more then 1 in 100 reloaders use it.

The idea is to protect against intrusion of water into case through the primer
  • Options
    non mortuusnon mortuus Member Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lfi guy
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter

The idea is to protect against intrusion of water into case through the primer

I could be wrong, but I don't think there was a question of what it was for, just where you were planning on storing ammo to warrent it [:)].

midwayusa has primer sealer. Probably other reloading suppliers too. Some have suggested using nail polish before, never personally tried it though.
  • Options
    edharoldedharold Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used fingernail polish to seal primers for years. Not only does it seal the primer it can be used for coding your cartridges too.