In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Will neck sizing work ok with pump rifle?

poshposh Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
Recently bought a Rem 7600 in .308. This is my first pump rifle and my only .308. I'd like to neck size to cut down on wear and tear on brass. Can I get away with neck sizing if the ammo will be used only in this rile.

Comments

• Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Short answer , maybe. Probably not. You may get away with it on a round or two but it only takes one bad one to ruin a hunt and your day. Some pumps (and autoloaders) won't even tolerate FL resizing and demand small base dies. I would say you would have a much better chance with FL sizing than neck sizing, even in the same rifle. my 2c[:)]
  • Options
    Mike FinkMike Fink Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Posh- Yes and no. Sometimes you can make that work and I try to size as little as possible for the same reasons you do plus accuracy. All you can do is try. Set it up so there is no primer or powder in some rounds and simply pull the bullets if it doesn't funtion well. Turn the die down a bit a try again and etc.-Best, Mike
  • Options
    blackmesariflecoblackmesarifleco Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only if the chamber is completely concentric to the bore- probably not gonna happen. sorry.
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be prepared for the fact that full length sizing may not reduce your fired cases enough - In mine, I have to use small base dies to get easy functioning - an interesting aside is that the sb dies give me the best accuracy too.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I had a 760, 300-06 that I had to use small base dies for. The only thing you can do is try to neck size your brass fired in the rifle.
  • Options
    poshposh Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the information to all who responded. I'm going to hold off on neck sizing based on the comments. We'll see how FL resizing works and hope I don't have to buy small base dies.
  • Options
    je2140je2140 Member Posts: 225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had to buy small base dies for my 7400, and I suspect the chambers are the same. The 7400 has a tighter chamber then my other 5 308 autos. The 7400 hammer springs are also so weak they will only detonate softer primers like Remington, Winchester, or Federal no CCI primers
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since your 7600 is not a target rifle neck sizing makes no sence. 308 brass is cheap and plentyful, full length resize with small base dies and you will have no problems. Happy Hunting !!

For the fact that you can read this, thank a teacher. For the fact that you are reading this in english, thank a Vet