In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

cleaning old reloading dies

grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
I bought a couple of old presses with dies and was planing to set up the presses and and leave them set up as cartridge specific. What is the best way to clean the dies that have been sitting around for years?

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Depends. If they just have a lot of dirt and lube on them I do well by disassembling them and soaking in purple power cleaner for an hour or so, then a light brushing with a toothbrush and slotted tip with rag. Rinse, blow dry, lightly oil with a silicone base and done.

If rust, I'd use scotchbrite or bronze wool.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    grizzclaw,

jonk is right about the purple stuff, it's good in these situations.

Other alternatives are:

Dawn dishwashing liquid

Simple Green

Some of the tougher stuff will be persuaded by carb cleaner.

And for the difficult sticky stuff, Goo Gone!

I also like the suggestion to use nylon bristles and patches. I found some bottle brushes that used synthetic bristles that are sturdy enough to use on cases and dies that last a good long while. I think they were originally used for cleaning lab glassware.

Soak first, then scrub, then rinse and start again if needed. Some of the lubes used in case prep transfer to the dies when it hasn't been removed beforehand. Remember to use some form of rust preventative after cleaning.

Best.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    Depends. If they just have a lot of dirt and lube on them I do well by disassembling them and soaking in purple power cleaner for an hour or so, then a light brushing with a toothbrush and slotted tip with rag. Rinse, blow dry, lightly oil with a silicone base and done.

If rust, I'd use scotchbrite or bronze wool.

Evapo-Rust best stuff I have ever used and it works without any scrubbing. simply soak them in it for the recommended time when you remove them spray them down with carb cleaner and they will be almost like new

available at almost any hardware store if you cant find that look for navel jelly it will also slick the rust off like grease, navel jelly is a little more time consuming and you might have to use a wire brush to get the same results as using evapo rust

Home brew Evapo-rust

9:1 H2o / molasses
    http://www.wr6wr.com/newSite/articles/columns/wp0906/wp0906.html
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    good old TCE carb cleaner, or regular gun cleaning solvent, patch till clean. Just cleaned some this morning.
  • Options
    grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info fellas!
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Depends on how dirty - the worst, soak in a GUNK carb cleaner overnight. Won't hurt anything (unless LEE brand - remove the rubber o-ring).

I do this with ALL of my dies, regardless of manufacturer, courtesy of Varmint Al's website - POLISH the inside of the dies with Flitz and a shotgun mop of appropriate caliber. You will NOT remove metal or change the shape.