In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22lr ammo. what to use since pmc is gone.

frisky-maddogfrisky-maddog Member Posts: 208 ✭✭
hello
i shoot bullseye with a high standard victor and purchased pmc scoremaster 15,000 rounds of the same lot a while back. now want to replace it but found out it is discontinued or maybe just not imported into the usa? does anyone have a cheap reliable ammo that they think would be a good replacement for the pmc. i did buy 10,000 rounds of pmc moderator to hold me off when i could not find my scoremaster. but that is statring to run out also. need a suggestion before next season starts. if i find a good reliable 22lr next time i will not make the mistake of only buying 3 cases (15,000) i will probably buy at least 10 cases (50,000). any help or suggestions. will also use it in my s&w 41 and ruger mark ii. thanks

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    My High Standard Trophy likes Remington Standard Velocity and Win.T-22. The guys I shoot with that have Victors use the Rem. ammo too.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Opinions are just that in testing Remington ammo is very good in group size HOWEVER it is very easily damaged in shipping and handling which will crack the priming compound in the rim causing misfires [:(!] Ok for practice if you are watching the sights you can see what type of trigger break you have as a shooter but not good in matches as it can cost you points. I suggest you contact CMP and get set up for their ammo best deal hands sown anywhere.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Depends how much you want to spend.

I went to the store and bought one 50 round box of everything they have on the shelf, then tested that out of each gun- and found which my gun wanted the most.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Opinions are just that in testing Remington ammo is very good in group size HOWEVER it is very easily damaged in shipping and handling which will crack the priming compound in the rim causing misfires [:(!] Ok for practice if you are watching the sights you can see what type of trigger break you have as a shooter but not good in matches as it can cost you points. I suggest you contact CMP and get set up for their ammo best deal hands sown anywhere.

yup, CMP has the best deal going I shoot Scoremaster right now and have tried some of the CMP stuff and can't tell the difference
  • Options
    ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the pmc 22 ammo was made by aquila.you could probrably just try some aquila ammo.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    I have had real good luck with Wolf Match Extra, it is accurate and reliable in ALL of my 22's. But really the best thing to do is to try as many brands as possable to see what your gun likes the best. 22's are alot like women, no two like the same thing so when you find what pleases them, stick to it.
  • Options
    frisky-maddogfrisky-maddog Member Posts: 208 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hello odawgp
    what is the ammo that your are shooting from the cmp. i see they have a couple to choose from.
    thanks to all of the shooters out there. i have tried about 60 different types of ammo all of the eley products and my victor likes the rifle version of the eley for shooting at 100 yards on a calm day 10 shot groups average .67 but for bullseye i just dont want to use that it has a little more recoil which would not hurt in slow or timed but would cost me in rapid.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    +1. Since you can't reload for 22, this is about the only way to do it.

BTW - I've also heard great things about the Wolf stuff...

quote:Originally posted by jonk
    Depends how much you want to spend.

I went to the store and bought one 50 round box of everything they have on the shelf, then tested that out of each gun- and found which my gun wanted the most.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by frisky-maddog
    hello odawgp
    what is the ammo that your are shooting from the cmp. i see they have a couple to choose from.
    thanks to all of the shooters out there. i have tried about 60 different types of ammo all of the eley products and my victor likes the rifle version of the eley for shooting at 100 yards on a calm day 10 shot groups average .67 but for bullseye i just dont want to use that it has a little more recoil which would not hurt in slow or timed but would cost me in rapid.

THE CHEAP STUFF, IS WHAT THE CLUB ORDERED FOR PRACTICE THE TARGET SHOOTS A LITTLE BIT BETTER BUT NOT ENOUGH TO JUSTIFY THE ADDED COST FOR PRACTICE
    http://estore.odcmp.com/store/catalog/catalog.aspx?pg=product&ID=419ASVSE&item=&sfv=&cat=AMC&desc=&udc=&mct=&vndr=&ba=&pmin=&pmax=&note1=&note2=&note3=&note4=&note5=&max=