In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

any suggestions on choke for card shooting

blazer615blazer615 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
i was wondering if anyone knew much about card shooting i am shooting a 870 i bought a kicks card shooter choke tube but its not to good it is a 640 someone told me that the cheap #8 shells they use is not good for chokes that size i also bought a primos jelly head in 665 and a patten master i think is a 705 but none seem to work any ideals i sure would like to beat a couple of the shooters .. thanks jeff

Comments

• Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure what a card shooter is?
  • Options
    blazer615blazer615 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    it is like at the american legion they call it turkey shoot but you are shooting at paper at about 40 yards and the closet pellet to the center x wins ..........
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We call it "ballistic bingo"; a pellet closest to the center x wins. I have seen many score cards with only a few pellets, but one right on the center x, while a tight-choke guy who is really trying hard has heavily peppered his card and his closest is further out. Yet the odds are seemingly in favor of the tighter choke. Our club uses good ammo (Remington STS 1-1/8 oz. #8, and you must use the club ammo to keep everyone on the same level)and measure for a minimum-size bore/maximum choke allowable. The rest is a variable with practically each and every shotgun, yet one would think that a full choke or extra-full would be the logical place to start. Experiment with various choke tubes and the exact type of shotshell you'll be using to determine what gives the most dense pattern center in your shotgun.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Might be worth picking up an old single shot with a polychoke device on it... and just play with the settings.
  • Options
    trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    These choke tubes don't work that well with cheap shells.
    Go to a card shoot where they shoot Wagner 2/2/10s and you will find them useful.
    An 870 with full choke is hard to beat anytime .