In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Win 231 45acp min/max loading change by book?

drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
I'm using Speer Reloading Manual # 13 to work up my loads for 45 acp. Using a 200 grain lead semi wad cutter, my book shows a starting loading of 4.6 grains for 231 and the max load of 5.0 grains. Is this max load on the low side and do these loadings vary by reloading manual?

I've heard of reloaders reccommend loading 200gr lead swc @ 5.5-5.6 grains. That seems off the charts to me.

Right now I'm still at the starting loading of 4.6 and will probably move up to 4.7 after my next shooting outing.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Your load will depend on USE and the pistol . I don't want to sound like a snob but have loaded 300,000 + 45acp 200 grain lead bullets . There is no need to build +P+ loads to punch holes in paper . The lightest load that will function in your pistol with the springs and sights that are on it will make the pistol and YOU last longer and shoot better "your mileage may vary"
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Speer data is for their soft swaged bullets. They are afraid that if they OK you to load them any heavier, you will get barrel leading and complain.

There is reliable data for heavier loads with cast bullets. As perry shooter says, you don't need heavier loads to punch paper but if you must make Major power factor for IPSC or if you wish to simulate the recoil of your duty or self defense load, you will have to go up.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    It takes 5.5gr. 231 to make major for IPSC matches. There have been hundreds of thousands of round shot at matches, with hard cast bullets and good lube. I have shot about 20,000 myself with no damage to my 1911's. If you don't need your loads this hot, use the lower loading. It will save some wear on the gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What manual would you guys recommend? Was thinking I would get a Lynman manual.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Drobs If you have one manual and the bullet you want to load and the powder you want to use is in it then you have enough manuals IMHO within limits you need to match the load to the pistol and shooter. If you have say a red dot scope mounted on the slide and are Skinny old tall guy "ME" then you will need a hotter load to function a pistol with any given mainspring and recoil spring then if you have a standard IRON SIGHTS and are say 5'10" and weigh 230 pounds . Let me suggest you always TAPER crimp your 45ACP rounds so the mouth of the case is .469 + or - .002 This will help in feeding and chambering . for OAL the best thing to do is remove your barrel from the slide and use a loaded round that you loaded and drop it in the chamber it should fully chamber from it's own weight and the bullet should be long enough to let the case head be within .010 of flush to the hood of the barrel.Many 45'd have long chambers. The smaller the jump of the bullet to the rifling the better the group size.However you will have to check to see if loaded rounds will fit in your magazine.Some chambers are so long that if you use the barrel to set OAL then the loaded round will not fit in a magazine. Now comes the powder charge.If you take one round of your reloads and put it in the magazine and fire it. The slide will lock back if the springs are not to heavy for the load. However the spring may be too light . I have a spring pack from WILSON and use the heaviest that works with the load I am using . I have done lots of testing using a Ransom Rest and 200 grain bullets shoot the smallest groups at about 800 fps. "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My kimber TLE seems to run just fine at the starting loading of 4.6 grs I want to work up some loads and try some of these Ipsc loadings. I was kinda shocked that my book didn't have anything higher than 5.0. Will grab another couple books for comparison.

Thanks for all your ideas.