In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

rcbs brass locking screw

j3081j3081 Member Posts: 332 ✭✭✭
hi,,,anybody else having any trouble with the the brass locking screw on their dies,,,i did what the lady said,,,put a piece of lead shot in the hole before tightening,,,brass is softer than steel,,,i do not overtighten,,,bring back the hardened ones with the thread locking device,,,thanks

Comments

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They only need to be snug enough to keep the ring from turning, not tight. The short end of your allen wrench between your thunb and finger is all it takes
    Any good hardware store should have standard "cup point" setscrews. Personaly I like a 1" to 1 1/2" allen bolt (with the lead shot underneath) as this gives me a place to use my thumb.
    IIRC the thread size is 10-32 (but it might be a 8-32 as I'm not near one at the moment)
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Well personally this is the one feature I hate about RCBS, Lyman, Hornady, and CH dies. Yes, once it is set you should be fine- unless, like me, you have 2 different presses with SLIGHTLY different lengths. Or, like me, you sometimes want to back the die off to only partially size. Or, like me, you get a set of used dies with a stripped set screw...

I rather prefer Lee dies for this reason. No set screws. Plus their collet retained decapping pin is both harder and less breakable than the screw in types favored by most others (though not Hornady).
  • fishmastyfishmasty Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    Well personally this is the one feature I hate about RCBS, Lyman, Hornady, and CH dies. Yes, once it is set you should be fine- unless, like me, you have 2 different presses with SLIGHTLY different lengths. Or, like me, you sometimes want to back the die off to only partially size. Or, like me, you get a set of used dies with a stripped set screw...

I rather prefer Lee dies for this reason. No set screws. Plus their collet retained decapping pin is both harder and less breakable than the screw in types favored by most others (though not Hornady).

I use Lee and RCBS. I too like the Lee set up for the lock nut better than RCBS dies. I put lee lock nuts on m a couple of my RCBS dies.. I also like Lee Dies a little better because if you get a stuck case all you have to do is take the de-capping pin lock nut out and tap the deprime pin with a hammer and the case comes out.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    +1 on the Lee lock nuts on RCBS dies. I did that on all mine.
  • dgacdgac Member Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went down to the hardware store and bought steel locking screws. Someone correct me if this is a bad idea.

dgac
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put the split rings on all of my dies; RCBS, Hornady,
    Bonanza, Lyman and LEE. Lock up tight and release easily to change or adjust. Thought those were standard on RCBS dies now, but I haven't bought any new ones in years. NO?
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    RC
    As far back as I can remember, RCBS used the setscrew type. IIRC the split ring is Hornady's type.