In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

casting you own

i am thinking of trying this
pros or cons and tips please

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Pros: if you can find your lead for free- which is getting harder to do but check tire stores, dentists, x ray departments, etc- it's then very economical. Even if you buy from a scrap dealer it is pretty cheap. If you have to buy new, not worth it.

You can size to perfectly fit your bore.

You can control bullet hardness and lube used for application.

Cons: Addictive. Has a lot of stuff to buy to get into it. Exposes you to lead- not a problem if you are smart, but don't go casting and then eat a lot of finger food without a thorough hand washing.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been casting for over 30 years. I love casting good bullets. There is no drawback to it. www.castboolits.gunloads.com is a great place to learn. The molds and equipment sold by Lee are a solid investment. The bottom pour pot is great and the aluminium molds are easy to use. You can start scrounging lead today but calling a tire shop.
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    i have been gathering lead and some of this and that
    i picked up a lubesizer and a melting pot at a yard sale
    i guess i need to get a few molds and go to it
    does any one cast rifle bullets
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes.....

Whatcha wanna know?
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    shootlow,

"does any one cast rifle bullets"

Yes.

.308 Win./.22PPC/45 cal. paper patch/.44 Rem. Mag./.45-70 Govt.
    bulletscastagq4.png

There are others but these were within reach.

Best.
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    quote:jonk
    Advanced Member

4866 Posts
    Posted - 11/14/2008 : 3:14:35 PM

Yes.....

Whatcha wanna know?

how fast can you push the lead with out a problem i want to cast for a 7mm rem mag and 7mm-08
  • Options
    frisky-maddogfrisky-maddog Member Posts: 208 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have not cast any yet but have the equipment. i just wanted to know would the lead from my clubs indoor range work or should that be ignored. at any time i can go and get as much lead as i want from the range for free. helped last monday for one of the other members he wanted a five gallon pail full so i filled it and then he decide a 1 to 1 1/2 gallons was plenty as the 5 he did not want to move. from our clubs range it is 90 % from 22lr and the rest is mixed which also includes the copper jackets. will this stuff work good?
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,039 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a lot of lead from the range, works fine. The jackets and other crud just float to the top to be skimmed off. I use prafin for flux and it works fine, I'm sure their are many others who all use something different.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How fast can you push a rifle load? Well... that depends.

On the aforementioned cast boolits forum I've read of guys who pushed 3000fps with a gas checked lead bullet cast of pure linotype with some sort of high tech lube. That would be the outside and would require a very nice shiny bore to start.

For the average shooter, with average hard lead, 2000-2100 fps is a good mark to max out at using gas checked bullets.

Personally most of mine move around 1800 fps for punching paper.

For plain base, non gas check bullets, about 1500 fps is tops, I usually stay to about 1000 with these though when I shoot them.
  • Options
    TommytornadoTommytornado Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would also suggest getting a hold of the new copy of Handloader Mag. Brian Pierce has a good article on bullet casting.