In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

My 9mm reloads won't chamber?

TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
I followed the loading recipe very closely.

9mm Luger:
Magtech case- correct length and new
115 gr RN Copper Jacketed bullet

I resized the case before charging using a Lee Turret press with the autodisk.

The Lyman #48 says OAL is 1.090

Alliant website says 1.125" OAL which I used.
My factory Magtech is 1.152" OAL.

It hangs on the barrel throat coming out of the mag.

Is it too short?

Or should I look at something else?

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    First, what brand of gun? I set all my 9mm. at 1.150, and have no feeding problems in any of my 9's.
    Second, is the bullet nose up when it won't feed? If it is and the Magtech feeds Ok, reset you OAL the same.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Take the pistol apart and with the barrel in your hand pointed down drop one of your loaded cartridges into the chamber it should fully chamber from it's own weight and the case head should be about .010 below flush with the end of the barrel .I suspect that your cases and failing to chamber because the case mouth is not taper crimped and leaves a sharp edge that hangs up on the feed ramp of barrel . Also different bullet nose contour can cause hang up on feeding .
  • Options
    TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll try the taper crimp.
    The nose profile looks identical though.

I meant to say earlier that it is a Ruger P95DC.

It has digested all kinds of factory rounds and I'm just trying out reloading the 9mm for the first time.

I currently only load for 4 rifles and this is my first pistol round attempt.

Thanks!
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    In addition to the above comments.

I recommend a Lee Final Crimp Factory Die ($10-15) for all pistol rounds. Although not required, it just makes everything work. Also get a cartridge gauge ($12-15)from Dillon or Midway.

All that being said, if it fits as Perry stated above, you may want to check the magazine feed angle. It's generally just a small problem.

Welcome to the frustration of reloading, on the other hand, welcome to the ability to make the ammo however "you want". (I think you'll find it to be a great hobby)
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Hello Take the pistol apart and with the barrel in your hand pointed down drop one of your loaded cartridges into the chamber it should fully chamber from it's own weight and the case head should be about .010 below flush with the end of the barrel .I suspect that your cases and failing to chamber because the case mouth is not taper crimped and leaves a sharp edge that hangs up on the feed ramp of barrel . Also different bullet nose contour can cause hang up on feeding .

+1
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    quote:Also get a cartridge gauge ($12-15)from Dillon or Midway.

++1