In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Removing stuck brass from die

skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
Stuck my first case today. I have a lot of once fired 223 from 4 different guns, 2 AR's, a mini-14, and a Reminton 700. Some are harder to run through the die than others, but none were that hard. Then I pulled the rim off the bottom. CRAP! Its a Hornady STD die, not FL. Does the RCBS stuck case remover work? Has anyone used it? Or amd I better off shipping back to Hornady? I am only using a smaller RCBS Special-5 press, so I don't think I was really bearing down on it.

Thanks [V]

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Pull the deprimer stem out and use a small punch to tap it out. If you don't have a punch long enough try a screw driver that fits the hole.
  • Options
    dgacdgac Member Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what a pain. The very first time I reloaded. I stuck one. It was a 222

dgac
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get an RCBS stuck case remover.
  • Options
    mameralmameral Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The first case I ever stuck was a 300 win mag. It was in a cheap RCBS die and I had used spray lube. I will never use spray lube for full sizing again.
    I got the RCBS case puller, but it didn't work for the die that I had.
    I love that dgac was loading 222. It doesn't seem like it is as popular as it should be.
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I was ablt to "unstick" the case with the tap method. I did break the expander, Hornady is sending me a new one, didn't ask how I broke it. Great warranty!
  • Options
    GUTSSGUTSS Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I stuck a .223 case a while back, it was in a Redding die. I called Redding and told them that I screwed up and ruined the die trying to remove the case and they sent me a new die free of charge. It's nice to know that some companies still stand behind their products.
  • Options
    joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got a great deal at cabella's bargin cave on a set with a stuck case in them (rcbs dies). They too replaced no questions asked.
    RCBS service dept was the BEST!
  • Options
    pit_viper_53pit_viper_53 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Something you might try is a thread tap. If the entire end of the case is gone thread the tap into it and try to pull it out.You just have to be careful and not thread it in too far on a tapered case.
  • Options
    glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never thought about it until reading this thread and noted the comments about stuck 22 caliber cases. Nearly all the stuck cases I have had over the decades have also been of 22 caliber. Wonder why that is.