In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.45 ACP load for Bullseye powder

geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
I just started a friend of mine on reloading .45 ACP. I had an older 1 lb. can of Unique Bullseye powder for him. In reviewing my old Lyman book it shows 3.5 grains for an accuracy load with 230 gr. FMJ at 600+FPS. (I use Clays for my .45, got this powder with a "lot" purchase, but I never used it)

However, in looking at the online load data they show a max of 5.7 grain.

This seems to be quite a bit wide in the data. Did the powder change when the Alliant name changed? I don't want to make his first experience a bad one.

Best loads for Bullseye 230 gr?

Comments

• Options
    austin247austin247 Member Posts: 375
    edited November -1
    I've had good results with 5.0 grains of Bullseye behind 230 grain FMJ.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I have loaded 300,000 + 45ACP and 95% of that has been with Bulls-Eye powder made from the 1950's that was 20 years old when I started using it to fairly new made by Alliant. IMHO the early stuff was slightly QUICKER/HOTTER but not by a whole bunch . Most reloading manuals list loads that are for SOCIAL work not Bulls-Eye target shooting thus the larger powder charges listed . Along those same lines most bulls-eye shooters were looking for the lightest recoil they could get to send the bullet through one piece of paper Thus the 3.5 grains. This was before the days of ransom rest testing that showed better 50 yard groups needing more then 3.5 grains. Today the latest shooters that shoot lead loads also have red dots mounted many on the slide so they need more powder to cycle the slide. for 200 grain lead bullets . The 230 ball "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN" shoots MUCH better groups at 50 yard slow-fire at between 820 -850 FPS depending on your barrel BARSTO being the smallest bore size and your bullets any where from .449 -.452 it will take about 4.5 grains to get to the 820 FPS point. Hope this helps. Camp Perry 1972-2005. Are you trying to load for EIC matches by any way? PERRY SHOOTER
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Karl.

This person does not shoot Bullseye (yet). But he got the gun from an estate sale, Colt upper, lower was with only serial number and left side marking by the trigger is "JMA". It was custom built as a Ball Gun and is extremely well done, tight and accurate.

My only concern on the reloads was there was such a difference between 3.5 and 5.7 grains, since I never use Bullseye powder. I'll start him off at 4.5 and see how it groups.

Again, thanks for the information.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should be OK at 4.5 grains, my load was with 4.2 using a 200 lead SWC. Be very cautious with bulls-eye, it is a hot powder and a double charge is a wrecked gun for sure.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I dont see JMA as an inspector however most colts in WW II vintage 1911A1 have two or three letters in a row. depicting who inspected the pistol if you give the serial I should be able to tell who built the frame and who should have been the inspector . the colt slide could be on a Rem. Rand / ithaca /Singer frame WWI 1911 frames for the most part had had the 3 letters in a Signet pattern

EDIT EDIT Hello this may be a National Match pistol built by one of the Military marksmanship units or better yet Springfield Armory or U.S. government Rock Island arsenal. If you send pictures to karlwoerner@vatractor.com I am fairly knowledgeable about vintage Match Pistols in 45 ACP and with good close ups may even be able to tell you who the builder is.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Karl:

I'm quite sure the frame was not a Colt. The "JMA" was most likely the builder of the gun frame, as if you bought a 60% or 80% frame, built it and then steel stamped your logo.

Front and back are nicely stippled, frame is very highly polished blue, bomar blade and sight, match barrel has the frame serial number stamped on it, not a NM bushing but very well fitted. Nice work by whomever did it.

Not critical he knows who made it, I just added that because I was curious who did such good work.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I've shot alot of Bullseye over the years with good results. I load 5gr under a 200gr RNFP LazerCast from Oregon Trail for everyday shooting in my Springfield and Colt Commander.
    For what it's worth.
    W.D.
  • Options
    44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bullseye has to be my favorite in my springfield 45. I load 5grains for a 230grainLRN. Moves at around 900fps. Plus it's clean to shoot. Anything faster is a waste for this round.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    4gr bulleye 200 LSWC bullet
  • Options
    GUTSSGUTSS Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot .45 ACP in my 1927 A1 Thompson. I started at 4.5grns of Bullseye and worked up to 6grns of Bullseye to get the rifle to cycle properly(the bolt assembly has two very strong springs). With 6grns of Bullseye the bullets were right at 1050fps.
  • Options
    rcbsmanrcbsman Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Am a big fan of bulleye powder for 45acp and some other loads really like it " hot attitude" but use it wisely, never load a "redline load" with it, better yet never load a "red line" load period as the redline is used to save a major firearm damage or maybe some ones eyes or life!!! Just my opinion for what it's worth. rcbsman