In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

lee facty.crimp die

I have a set of rcbs 223 group A dies.Does the seating die have a taper crimp or a roll crimp.Haven't been able to find out yet.
will the lee facty.crimp die work ok for a taper crimp.
Here is what it says about the lee die.I would like your opinions.

Lee Taper Crimp Die

The Lee Taper Crimp Dies is hardend steel designed to overcome crimp problems caused by poor die design. These dies offer little or no advantage when used wth 1986 or newer Lee Dies as the crimp angle is already modified taper crimp. Jacketed bullets must have a crimp groove

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Take a empty case and run it in your seating die until you get a crimp and see what it looks like. You will feel when it hits the mouth of the case.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Factory crimp die will not give you a tapered crimp. I have several and have found them unnecessary for rounds like the 223, but priceless for thin walled handgun rounds like the .38-40 and 44-40's where a firm crimp is desired and buckling necks can be a problem.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    There are 2 different lee crimp dies worth mentioning.

In their 4 die handgun sets, the last die is a taper crimp die. Works well for what it is, but I find it distorts cast lead bullets if you are going a little over bore diameter. Really it doesn't seem to be much other than a case sizer die with the decapper removed.

The other die is the lee factory crimp die, essentially a neck collet that centers the bullets in (generally) rifle rounds. If we're calling crimps 'roll' and 'taper' then I'd say this is 'other'. I've not found it does much for the every day rifle one way or the other but maybe for match grade guns?
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One main feature of the Lee factory crimp die not yet mentioned here is that one can successfully and uniformly crimp cases that are not all trimmed to exactly the same length. Standard crimping shoulder on combination seating/crimping dies can over-crimp and/or buckle a case that is a couple thousandths too long, and under-crimp a case that is slightly short. I know that ideally the cases should be trimmed to uniform length, but occassionally I don't have the opportunity to do so, and still have a need or desire to crimp.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been using the factory crimp die in 223 and find it works well. After seeing a few bullets forced back into cases by AR's, I crimp all ammo expected to be used in those rifles. Use care not to overcrimp as bullets can be damaged by this die.