In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

good reloader

i am thinking about getting into reloading and was hopeing to get some suggestions on where to start. should i start with a single stage press or can i just go straight to a progressive? who makes a good press for the $ ? while id like to tweak the reloads as best i could for accuracy, ill never be in a high power competition. hunting and plinking will be primary uses. what could i be looking at at spending for the full set up? 500+, 1000+???

Comments

• reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have never reloaded, I would start with a single stage press. I have an older RCBS Rockchucker that is all I've used for 20 years plus. I only load handgun but it will work on rifle too. Lee is the low end, Dillon towards the high end, and lots in between.
  • longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree. I started reloading last year & asked the same question, & recieved the same sound advice. I load 3 calibers with the same RCBS single stage loader.
  • MtnloverMtnlover Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Definitely a single-stage press to start. I also use a Rockchucker, along with Redding dies for targets and hunting. You can get an RCBS Supreme kit for about $250-280, add a set of dies, a good case trimmer, a set of calipers and a loading book for about $500 total and be ready to go. Or, at least ready to buy bullets, powder, primers and brass. You will probably find as you go that you want to upgrade some of your pieces, but this is a good way to start. Good advice from this forum is free in large quantities. Enjoy!
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    You can get a Lee anniversery kit for under $100 from midwayusa. That will get you started, plus a set of dies for the calibers you need.

The Lee O frame Challenger press is of decent quality, but is not their best. That would be the Lee Classic Cast. It's just as beefy as the Rockchucker and a third the cost. Still, it's a good place to start; I had mine for 5 years and a $6 part broke. I've had it another 5 years since with no further issues (the challnger that is).

For a kit it is hard to beat.

If you want to buy individual components I'd get the classic cast press and go from there.
  • flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm happy with my Lee anniversary kit. Works well and is cheaper than the others. I've used it on 30-06, 8mm mauser and soon to be 308. Midway has reviews so you can read what others had to say about the different brands. I've added a digital scale and that's it. Made my own loading blocks so those were free-first was some small onces made out of thick cardboard, then made some out of scrap wood. When I bought it I knew the press wasn't as strong as the others but no use spending the "big bucks" and find out it's not for you.
  • j3081j3081 Member Posts: 332 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hi,,,the FIRST thing you need to do is buy a couple reloading manuals,,,every manual has it's basic reloading guide in the book,,,i'd say buy the manuals FIRST and then decide on your set-up,,,progressive,out of the question for the newbie,,,roll one at a time and LEARN,,,thanks
  • g1rockg1rock Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would read as much as I could, and if you grasp the concept of what needs to happen in each step I would start with a progressive press. I started reloading from scratch with a Hornady projector. That was twenty years ago and I still use that press today. Get a good micrometer to measure Overall cartage length (very important) DON'T SEAT YOUR BULLET TO DEEPLY,... And a good powder scale. Either way your equipment will pay for itself. Best of luck! [;)]