In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30-06 brass to 8mm mauser

flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
A while back I thought there was a topic about making 8mm muaser brass from 30-06 brass. I couldn't find it. It's cold outside and I have some 30-06 brass I found and thought about running them through my 8mm FL die. Not planning on loading any right now, just forming them and giving myself something to mess with. I figure the thickness of the brass may be different, so the capacity may be different as well. So is there anything to watch out for besides case capacity and making sure the cases measure below max dimension's? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rough trim to 58mm first
    Work the shoulder back in stages (much easier than trying to do it in one push)
    Use a GOOD lube
    Annealing may be beneficial
    Make sure that the case mouth isn't to thick (turning or reaming may be required)
    Trim to proper length
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do mine in one pass and trim to length. I also use a tapered expander ball and a little lub on the inside of the case neck, that helps the transition greatly. Simple to do.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I played around with it a bit this afternoon. I didn't find it overly difficult to push the shoulder back. My main problem is my reloading bench is going to need some beefing up. I've rigged up my bench (all for free) but resizing several 30-06's from my M1 has taken it's toll. Get that solved and I'ld be in good shape. It appears the brass I was using is a bit thicker than my factory brass. My reformed brass weighs about 12 grains more than factory and the case necks are a bit thicker, but still well below max. Slightly less volume as well. I'll have to play around with a different brand of brass some other time and see how it compares to my factory 8mm brass.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954

Make sure that the case mouth isn't to thick (turning or reaming may be required)

Usually not a problem in a 50 year old military rifle. In a SAAMI spec chambered rifle it can cause big problems.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make sure those 8mm loads in altered 06 cases are identified well. It is possible to chamber an 8x57 crtridge in a 30/06 and fire it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    Make sure those 8mm loads in altered 06 cases are identified well. It is possible to chamber an 8x57 crtridge in a 30/06 and fire it.

I am keeping all that in seperate containers, only working with one at a time. Also, my altered 06 cases are commercial while my unaltered 06 cases are military LC 69
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have done hundreds and some brass does not hold up well, particularly brittle military like LC. LC match, however is soft as is FC and those make good 8MM.
    I bought a tool that forms the brass to 8MM and leaves the excess neck sticking out which I whack off with a Makita saw then debur.
    I then run it through a regular 8MM FL sizer and I am done.

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Just run a 30/06 case trimmed to 2.23 into a 8x57 die with the right expander in it, until you can chamber it in your rifle and then load and shoot it, about all there is to that...

Wouldn't a 8mm loaded with either 318, or 323. bullets be to big to go in a 06 chamber ?
    Seems it would need a rather large throat area, or a lot of pressure to close the bolt...
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 8x57 is enough shorter than the 30/06 that the ogive of the bullet is behind the chamber neck. I only had this experience once and didn't actually fire the round. Got some mixed military ammo and did not notice the single 8mm round in the loose 06's. I realized the difference when loading the mag so went ahead and checked to see if the rumored situation would happen. Chambering felt very little different from standard 30/06.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I run against a bench grinder to take off about 4-5 mm of brass quickly, FL size, then final trim.

I used to do this quite a bit but lately the scrap buckets at the range have been yeilding a lot of boxer 8mm, as have the junk bins at shows. In any case I now have about 200 cases (120 formed, 80 purpose made) for a caliber I don't reload that often (have a ton of surplus) so I can't comment on how LONG formed cases will last, but can say they shoot just as well as their commercial bretheren.