In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

unique or titegroup??

MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
I have been loading 38 specials with various types of powder but have decided to standardize with one powder. Perusing several manuals indicates either of these powders is suitable and useful in other cartridges also. Any suggestions as to preferences for use with lead bullets-125 and 158 grain?

Comments

• Options
    jcook01jcook01 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used Titegroup in several calibers, 357, 45ACP and 500mag.

It's a great powder, consistent shooter, great for plinking, however you won't break any ballistic speed records with it. I guess the best part is it doesn't take a whole lot to reach maximum pressures (i.e. inexpensive loads) and papers very consistently even though the cartridge is far from full.

I shoot primarily Titegroup, especially in the magnums, but when I'm feeling honery I'll switch over to H110.

Regards, John
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I used Unique for a long time. I just started loading subsonic loads for a suppressed 9mm rifle and found Tightgroup to be much cleaner in it.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I used Unique for years, but I have shifted to Titegroup. One big advantage is that you will use approximately 20% less powder for the same results. This will save you money.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Titegroup.

1. It burns cleaner.
    2. It is cheaper and it goes farther (more loads per pound).
    3. There are few pistol cartridges that it won't work for.
    4. It is not position sensitive so it performs well even in big
    cases.
    5. It meters better than Unique. Unique tends to have metering issues in inclimate weather.

As already stated it is a great plinking/target powder but isn't for hot loads. In my neck of the woods it usually runs $2-4.00 and pound cheaper than other powders.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Of those 2 I prefer unique; however mostly for .38 special- and everything else- I use Bullseye.