In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

used shotgun hulls recycle

hello
is there a way to pull the plastic out of the base of the brass and then deprime them so to recycle the brass, plastic and spent primer? i have extra time in the winter and have several 55 gallon drums that i could do these to.
thanks for your input

Comments

• CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Recycle????????? Reload it,if you don't, save it, clean it and sell it to someone who does.
    W.D.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most "brass" shotgun bases are steel. I have found the local recycle centers do not want any spent primers, empty cases or bullet jackets. They claim that too many live rounds and primers get mixed into the scrap and the bang in the smelting pots at the foundries is too dangerous for workers.
  • trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    I tried to give a recycler 100# of spent shotshell primers.
    Said he did not want them on his lot.
    With scrap plastic at around a penny per lb. you need to consider how many you would have to dismantle to make a dollar .
    There has to be something more productive to do with that spare time .
  • frisky-maddogfrisky-maddog Member Posts: 208 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hello
    i reload but alot of these are ones that i have reloaded for the last time or they are spent shells fromour shooting range. i could hook up with a couple of the other ranges nearby and probaly have a 55 gal container every week of spent hulls to do something with that is why i asked. i already have more hulls than i can reload. last time the wife and i reloaded we reloaded 5,000 in about 5 1/2 hours. she loves to shoot and reload.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The metal bases and the plastic hulls are bonded together pretty well. It would be a pretty tough job to pull them apart one at a time.

I suppose you could try melting the plastic and scooping out the remaining metal bases if your that much into recycling. The plastic would melt at a lower temp than the metal.
  • bsdoylebsdoyle Member Posts: 279 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you need a bond fire and pick up whats left. Primers will prob fall out then. Maybe I shoul get you to reload my shells if you got that much time. HAHA I do appreciate you want to recycle tho
  • lchapmanlchapman Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend of a fellow I work with reloads his own shotgun shells. When he gets a couple of drywall buckets full, he cleans them up with a hose and soapy water. Then, after a good rinse, they go into the clothes dryer on 'low' with a few towels. He's been doing it for years, but he waits until his wife is going to be gone for several hours. So far, she's never found out.