In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New To Guns

tacomasr5tacomasr5 Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
I am looking for any type of book or video that can explain calibers, bullet grains and any other info on rifles and pistols. Now in my later years I am getting interested in firearms. Couldn't own one in Chicago where I lived, but now I can where I am at. Any help would be appreciated.

"Listen to Old People, we already made those mistakes"

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cartridges of the world
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Cartridges of the world by frank c Barnes at your local book store. one of the best there is.YOU beat me to it JUST C[:0][:I]
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the dark side [:D] I'll 3rd a copy of "Cartridges Of The World"
    Caliber is the (nominal) diameter of the bore, either in inches or mm. Example 30cal is also 7.62mm and uses a bullet that's actually .308" in diameter.
    Grains (gr) is a measure of weight, 7000gr/pound or 437gr/ounce

Cartridge names often don't make any sense, as it can denote the original weight of powder (45-70 = 45cal with 70gr of BLACK powder), or year of introduction (30-06 = 30cal adapted in 1906), or it could be the length of the case (in English or metric units), or denote the creator (Weatherby, Holland & Holland, Roberts, etc), or it could denote the country that used it (British, Jap, etc), or it could simply denote what the parent cartridge (30-06 necked down to 25cal = 25-06, 250-3000 Savage necked down to 22cal = 22-250, 308Win necked to .28cal = 7mm-08Rem, etc).
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stop in to your local gun store and ask questions, most small dealers wil be glad to help out. By local I don't mean Cabelas or the local Wal mart, just a mom and pop store.
  • Options
    flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by brier-49
    Stop in to your local gun store and ask questions, most small dealers wil be glad to help out. By local I don't mean Cabelas or the local Wal mart, just a mom and pop store.

And while you're there, pick up a 22 long rifle and some ammo and start practicing.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Lyman reloading manual will help. Any reloading manual will help but Lyman or Lee explains a little about each cartridge. i suggest these because they may be more redily available. Gun shows, gun clubs,Firearms safety courses,Gun magazines especially old ones can be got cheap.
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by Tailgunner1954
    Welcome to the dark side [:D] I'll 3rd a copy of "Cartridges Of The World"
    Caliber is the (nominal) diameter of the bore, either in inches or mm. Example 30cal is also 7.62mm and uses a bullet that's actually .308" in diameter.
    Grains (gr) is a measure of weight, 7000gr/pound or 437gr/ounce

Cartridge names often don't make any sense, as it can denote the original weight of powder (45-70 = 45cal with 70gr of BLACK powder), or year of introduction (30-06 = 30cal adapted in 1906), or it could be the length of the case (in English or metric units), or denote the creator (Weatherby, Holland & Holland, Roberts, etc), or it could denote the country that used it (British, Jap, etc), or it could simply denote what the parent cartridge (30-06 necked down to 25cal = 25-06, 250-3000 Savage necked down to 22cal = 22-250, 308Win necked to .28cal = 7mm-08Rem, etc).
    [/quote

thanks ive always wondered what the actual measurment of a grain was.