In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

reloading blunder!

I finally got to sit down and do some reloading tonight and i think i may have screwed up. I was loading some 30-30 170gr with IMR3031 and i inadvertantly inserted Large rifle MAGNUM primers instead of standard large rifle primers. Will these be ok to shoot or do i need to disasemble the ammo and start over? Please tell me im not the only the one to ever do this. LOL

170gr RN
IMR3031 27.5 gr
COL 2.550
Shooting from a pre 64 winchester 94

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Reloading is like being and aircraft mechanic Mistakes are costly. With that said IMHO unless you are near MAX with your powder charge for regular primers then Magnum primers will be OK . point of impact and velocity will not be the same as your normal loads. most likely.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Reloading is like being and aircraft mechanic Mistakes are costly. With that said IMHO unless you are near MAX with your powder charge for regular primers then Magnum primers will be OK . point of impact and velocity will not be the same as your normal loads. most likely.

+1! If anywhere near max, then pull the bullets and load them down.
  • Options
    brickmaster1248brickmaster1248 Member Posts: 3,344
    edited November -1
    I loaded it to the middle of the high load and the low load. shoul i still pull them?
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Your load is on the low end of the IMR chart. I'd say shoot them.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Shoot them Middle of the road loads should give no problems [^][:)]
  • Options
    CryptoChiefCryptoChief Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sandwarrior gave the clue as to what to do. Magnum primers in the large rifle variety are generally equivilent to and extra grain of powder. If you load range is, for example, 30 grains minimum and 37 grains maximum and you are loading 34 grains, using the magnum primers will be equal to a 35 grain loading. You are well within the safety margin for the cartridge. If this is the case I agree with dcs shooter - shoot em. And no, you are not the only one to have done this.

CC