In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

need a trap/skeet gun

mowenmowen Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
I just recently got into clay pigeon shooting over the summer and am looking to upgrade from my Mossberg 500AT. I need a good over/under sporter for $600-800

Comments

• Options
    onegreatshotonegreatshot Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well you probably will have to put up a little more money to get a good O/U. Stick with a big name brands, it will pay in the end when you want to trade up later. Check out the gun sales on the internet (duh) and if at all possible ask why the person is unloading the gun ie: cracked wood somewhere, trigger is bad, small buldge at the chokes, etc. Good luck Also ask around the gun club and see if anyone is sell something you can use and may get a deal.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Good used SKB500, 505, 585 are normally in that range and a great gun for the money. I would recommend a good name brand used gun, Beretta, Browning, SKB, etc. Also assure it has screw in choke tubes so you can shoot all games.

Best of luck.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Look at the Traditions by Fausti. Very nice, I paid $425 for a slightly used one. Mines the wally world version (plain black receiver) the ones you can get now are nice with some engraving. Just checked the auction side there are a few in your price range.
  • Options
    mowenmowen Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right now I'm considering buying a Mossberg sporting reserve. Is that an alright gun?
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello A field gun will work well as a sporting clays gun . However the best trap guns have a high comb to shoot rising birds and are coked either full or close to full while a skeet gun is open choke. and low comb.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Excellent point, perry shooter.
    Trapskeet is not one word, it is not one game, and it is not shot at the best with one gun. Sure, you can get by and have fun but you will not score the best at one with a gun meant for the other.

A sporting clays gun with screw chokes and adjustable stock would serve, once you learned the settings. But those aren't cheap.

Actually, I think you would be smart to concentrate on skeet. From what I have seen (and done... or not) it is easier for a skeet shooter to learn trap than vice versa. And knowing both is a good foundation for sporting clays, without which you might flounder around.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    I would agree a Field gun is fine. But with all due respect to the above, you need a durable gun for thousands of rounds that will last. Everyone has their favorites, but think long term, that's why Browning, Beretta, Winchester, SKB, have lasted so long as the competition guns to have.

The Stoeger I believe does not have chrome lined barrels, metal finish is poor and most of them rust easily, plus the swing and balance is terrible. Never known a serious competitor to use one.

Mossberg Reserve is very pretty, and a lot of gun for the money, but the mechanics of the gun will not last in competition. Already seeing one year old guns having mechanical problems on the skeet range.

Fausti Traditions - May be the best of the above lot, but be aware that they are "cast off" and it has only extractors (which some people like)which gets old and removal of each shell breaks the concentration.

IMHO you would be better off to get a good used name brand then try to use a new "inexpensive" gun. Just one opinion.

Best of luck
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that the best O/U for the money is by far SKB. As Perry shooter mentioned a gun with a lower comb will probably get you started off in a better direction than a dedicated trap gun. Try something like geeguy mentioned in the SKB line in a sporting version. They have a lower comb than a trap gun but still high enough for most to still shoot trap with. Make sure that it has screw in chokes so you can play all three games with one gun. Now you are entering the fun part about shooting clay targets. You always find a reason to need another gun. Then once you have the 2-3 guns you want you will decide that you want to do it in 20 than 28 gauge. Oh yea dont forget the most fun skeet gun of all, the 410. Good luck

T67