In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.357 magnum velocity

11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
Loading 15 grains of 2400, 158 gr JSP, CCI 550 Magnum primers. Shoots quite well- manual lists muzzle velocity of about 1400 fps, but that is from a 6 inch revolver. I am using a 10 inch revolver (Dan Wesson). Anyone have an educated guess on muzzle velocity for mine? Good 100 meter load.

Comments

• Options
    CryptoChiefCryptoChief Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can usually expect and additional 25 to 50 fps per one inch of each additonal barrel length. Would depend on powder burn and efficiency to a degree. I'd say 1500 to 1600 for your Dan Wesson but a chronograph would be nice.

CC
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks Chief- thought it should be somewhere in that range, but no tenga chrono. Drop is about 3" at 100, so that checks. Interesting screen name you have- used to have an account in that field. Glad when I rotated out, and someone else had to take the account.
  • Options
    CryptoChiefCryptoChief Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Worked for Commander Naval Security Group Command (CNSG) and Director Communications Security Material Systems (DCMS). Roger that on someone else taking the account. Has been the cause of many a grey hair for many a folk.

CC
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Chief- was a grunt, got press-ganaged into a slot as commo platoon leader- former platoon leader had trouble accounting for some materials. Decided early on I did not want to go that route- weather at Leavenworth sux. Chow is worse. [:p]