In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.308 reloading troubles

NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
I have a problem and can not figure out what is wrong. I loaded a few hundred rounds a few years ago and every thing went fine. I loaded about 250 rds of stuff for my Rem 700 using once fired Win brass and probably close to 500 rds for my FAL using LC89 brass. All fed and functioned well.

A couple of weeks ago I started processing some brass and have it all tumbled and ready to go. Problem is using the same dies (RCBS SB) in the same position as they are in a die plate for my progressive they will not chamber in my guns. I thought well I must have something set wrong and double checked it. I threw in a FL die and ran a couple of the processed cases through and still will not chamber. I tried in my Rem 700 and M1A (no longer have a FAL).

Any idea what my problem might be?

Comments

• Options
    twin60stwin60s Member Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    check the rim of the case. i loaded some 22/250 for my 700 using once fired brass. i ended up with a couple where the rim got a little distorted. not much,just a hair. enuff to keep it from going into the chamber.
  • Options
    b00merb00mer Member Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    check the case length
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Different bullet profile? Different components? Not going full stroke on the resize (leaves the shoulder too long)?
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I full length size and trim my .308 in a Dillon trim die. Make sure you get the shoulder back to original size.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Cases were trimmed. Same bullets for the 700 (which is what I was loading for) since it was from the batch I bought 10 years ago (wish the price tag was still the same).

As far as full stroke the die comes up "tight" to the die plate.

I took the calipers too a couple of the cases and seem to be in spec. I will have to play with it more next week when I get home.
  • Options
    bsdoylebsdoyle Member Posts: 279 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try using a case without a bullet that has been resized and ready for pow and lead.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bsdoyle
    Try using a case without a bullet that has been resized and ready for pow and lead.

I have tried that too. I only loaded a few rounds when I found out they would not work.
  • Options
    Ruger77VTRuger77VT Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check bullet runout. Ecessive runout will can you round to fail to chamber. I ran into this problem myself. Look at the bullet that wouldnt chamber and inspect for foriegn marks.
  • Options
    MtnloverMtnlover Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sounds like your dies are not moving the case shoulder back. You'll need to measure the dimension from the case head to midpoint on the shoulder on a fired case and compare it to one that has been resized in your press. Several companies make simple tools that fit on your calipers for the purpose (Sinclair, Stoney Point, etc.). If the shoulder is not being moved back and you have no more adjustment in your dies and press, you may have to have the dies milled down a few thousandths to make it work. Before you go to that trouble, be sure to have your gunsmith confirm that the chamber on your rifle is within SAAMI specs.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Some presses flex more than others - take a case and run it into the FL resize die, leaving it at full stroke, with your hand on the handle, pushing it. With the other hand, using a feeler gauge, see if there is still some gap between the shellholder and the bottom face of the FL Die. You may find that the die needs to be advanced a quarter to a half-turn more. Sometimes that gap is all it takes to make the Cartrige too long, just that little extra. Yeah, it is an "Interference" fit when the press is empty, but it is correct adjustment (On Some Presses) when it is loaded up.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Handloader hit it. My die must have moved a little since last time I used it. I have a RCBS progressive and the dies stay in the die plate. I guess they can still moved enough to mess things up.

Now to pull the 100rds I loaded before I checked them [xx(]
  • Options
    jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AH HA! THAT'S IT! ONE WORD! PROGRESSIVE!

[:p][:D][:p][:D][:p]

Just funnin'!
  • Options
    flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nwcid
    Now to pull the 100rds I loaded before I checked them [xx(]

Have fun with that! [}:)] It's always fun pulling more than a few rounds after you knoticed there is a mistake. Sure beats the alternative though.[B)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I got that all straightened out. Man pulling bullets sucks but now it is right. I will have to go actually try some tomorrow [:D]

I was mostly trying to burn up 2 old boxes of bullets I had laying around so I can work on some new pet loads. I am loading for a Remington 700p LTR (is that enough initials) that I shot a couple hundred rounds though when I first got it and it has been sitting for years. Well after the purchase of my AWC Thundrtrap suppressor and having some threading done it has found new life.

DSC06247.jpg

Whats wrong with being progressive [:D]

DSC02951.jpg]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nwcid - if you DO have a progressive, go back and make sure the center bolt on the turret is tight - sometimes that is where the gap begins. Will really mess with your set-up. If you do find some looseness, then you will have to go and do the whole set-up routine again to reset case and seating lengths/depths, etc.

Regards,

Big Ugly Guy