In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Does reloading REALLY save money?

gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
I've crunched some numbers about whether it saves money to reload anymore, and I chose 3 calibers that are common for CCW, have about the same load weights and bullet weights, are similar in power, and are available anywhere. I assumed an average cost of a box of 50 from prices listed in Natchez, Cheaper Than Dirt and Sportsmans' Guide for each caliber; 38 Super Auto+P, 357Sig and 40S&W.
Each reload uses 7 grains of HS6 and except for the 40; a 135 grain bullet.
I then got prices on brass and primers from some other sources, mainly 'cuz CTD doesn't sell primers or most bullets or brass, and SG sometimes doesn't have other components, etc., so I averaged the cost of reloads for 500 rounds versus the cost average for 500 rounds of factory fodder.

Turns out that HS6 is $16.49 locally, so I save on the HazMat fee, and bullets are running about $15 a hundred (15X5=$75for bullets+$16.49for powder=$91.49+$10.00 for primers=$101.49+$14for brass=$115.49), so if I did the math right; we pay about $115 for 500 reloads.

Factory prices for 38 Super are $22 for 50, so there's 10 50's in 500; so 22X10=$220 for 500 factory rounds.
Factory prices for 357Sig are $26 for 50, so again; $260 for 500 'new' cartridges.
The cost for the 40 is $19; so it's $190.

Seems like it pays to reload NOW more than ever; I used to pay $9-10 for a box of 38's, and it cost about the same to handroll 'em back then (2005); good thing I got all my components a long time ago!

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Your numbers answered your question [;)] At the price of everything now, it still is less expencive to reload [^]
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    There has been a massive surge of people buying reloading equipment here in CA due to the cost and unavailability of non-lead factory ammo. For example the only non-lead ammo I have available in my store is Winchester E-Tip in 308 Win, 30-06, 300WSM and 300WM. The cost of each of these is $42.99 per 20. You can pay the price if you have a rifle chambered in one of these cartridges, but what if your deer rifle is a 7mm Rem Mag, 270 Win or a 257 Roberts? You can buy bullets from Barnes or Nosler for $24.00 for 50 and load them your self for a fraction of the price of factory loadings.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your math is a little wrong on the powder. Each LB is 7000 grains so at 7 grains per, you would not use a pound of powder, only 3500 grains, or 1/2 lb.[;)]
    Voila! Even more savings!
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Of the people that I know who reload, and from my (limited) experience when I reloaded 12ga for skeet/trap, no you won't save money. But, you will shoot more :)
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you save money, no way around that. NOW, if you reload matrch grade rounds with custom pills,...then yes you may just break even,..but you can't buy match loads with custome bullets. if you could, they would be $50+ a box of 20rnds.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    www.handloads.com go to right column and click on Handloading cost calculator....very handy.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    IMHO if you shoot less then 100 rounds of pistol a year or 50 rounds of rifle then NO you will not save on reloading . However if like me you shoot between 5000 and 7500 rounds of match grade pistol ammo then yes you will save money. + you can get most any gun to shoot better with proper hand-loads then factory loads.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gunnut505,

And for all the others that haven't started reloading for themselves, there is always more to reloading than just saving money. Sure you save money simply from the standpoint of not having to pay for the manufacturers overhead with each box. You supply the labor for free. There is also the point of using the cases more than once so the cost of those is amortized over the multiple uses.

Reloading allows me to experiment with loads that aren't available through the manufacturers, whether I select a different powder or more commonly a bullet that they don't use. Reloaders create more information about ballistics and performance than the manufacturers ever could. Reloading Match ammunition can be more consistent and more highly customized because we can spend as much time as we want to craft the exact load that works for our situation and system. You can't get that from factory ammunition. Without the ability to reload there would be no such things as wildcats and new cartridge designs. We'd be stuck with whatever the factory decided we wanted, not what we decided we needed.

Probably the most important aspect of reloading is the satisfaction of having the ability to create and shoot your own recipes. I look forward to reloading, it's relaxing and enjoyable in my opinion. It's also important to note that reloading can be shared with others, those of the same level of expertise and more so with beginners or the inexperienced.

Saving money gets us into the process of reloading and the rest follows along fortunately.

Best.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I've been rolling my own since 1973, got a 2nd single stage in 1978, added a third in 1979, went to a Dillon 550b in 1993, planning on a commercial unit sometime soon.
    I reload for the volume, accuracy, plinking, and the satisfaction of taking game with my own rounds or watching that ram topple over with the red dot still on his chest.
    I was just recently curious about HOW much one could save by just making 500 rounds of typical pistol caliber ammo, and thought I'd share the results (with 1/2 a lb. of powder leftover! THX B17) with the fine folk at GB.
    Everything you guys have said is true about reloading, and there's the added bonus of doing something right that results in more shooting!
  • Options
    chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm saving a great deal of money reloading .45, .40, and .223. I don't save much at all reloading 9mm but for me reloading is a hobby, every bit as fascinating to me as shooting my guns. I'd reload even if it didn't save any $
  • Options
    grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just saved a ton of money by buying out a bunch of brass, bullets, and primers from a women who's reloader dad died 18yrs ago. Man, did I save some money!
  • Options
    44 shotdoctor44 shotdoctor Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes it does pay to reload. I personnally load several different pistol and rifle rounds. However the only one I don't reload is 9mm because it just doesn't pay and somtimes it nice not having to pickup brass for a change. You can get 100 rounds of target or general ammo in 9mm for about $20. It costs about $15 to reload. Plus the small size of the brass it's just tough to relaod. I like to relaod just because you can tailor your rounds to what you like and you don't have to shoot to what the manufacture makes. Plus it's FUN!!
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No it doesn't, not a dime [;)]

buy factory shells let the rest of use waste our time and money [;)]

this will insure that we who do reload won't be short components in the days ahead [:o)][;)]
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Didn't anybody bring up how much you save when reusing your brass, or even better loading some scrounged brass?? Or did I just miss it?
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gunnut505,

I say overall it has always paid to reload. However, it really boils down to how much do you like to shoot? If you shoot a fair amount it will save money. If you don't shoot that much it might become a not really all that expensive hobby. I like the fact I can reload premium rifle loads that in a store would cost 3 times as much...just for having the components assembled. Mine are tailored to my rifle, and therefore shoot better from it.

Put in terms of how much you trust your ammo and how well it shoots, wouldn't you prefer to have spent 75 of 100 rounds working up the perfect load and using 25 out of 100 rounds successfully hunting. There's a lot of money tied up in a hunting trip. First, the 75 rounds gave you a lot of practice. It let you see where you would hit at different ranges. It also allowed you to see how consistent you could be. If you spent that much money on 100 rounds of premium ammunition then you might need half again as much money just for the trip. Meaning, most people probably wouldn't buy 100 premium rounds just to practice.

In any target game it is no question at all if you want to win. and you will shoot a lot so the savings is there...even with some of the spendiest bullets.

In reloading pistol, I've found that the cost of reloading was always equal to the cheaper brands of pistol ammo. So you were about dead even when it came to reloading vs. buying in bulk. But, again though, the buying in bulk has to prove itself out when thinking of winning. Some handguns like one speed and some ammunition just won't do it with some pistols.
  • Options
    .223.223 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never had a hobby that I saved money on and the hobby of building ammunition is no exception.

The same holds true for bullet casting, building 1911's, building AR15s, restoring shotuns and building computers, they are all hobbies that cost money.

It's not a matter of saving money it's a matter of doing things in life in a way that will bring you the most satisfaction.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dreher- I think GUNNUT was comparing apples to apples with the new brass purchase, as if he were "buying" 500 rounds of ammo. Of course the savings would be more substantial the second time around.[;)]
  • Options
    fo100568fo100568 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reloading for me was a place to spend quality time with my grandpa in the garage watching the ball game inbetween pull downs and sipping on hot coffee and coco. they made for great memories and even better bragging rights when you came home with more birds because you used "your reloads." the price advantage is for real as well as the personal satisfaction of shooting your own. disadavntages to reloading is that by the time the kids come, the little leagues start and home maintenance increases the time for reloading over the ball game and some beverages decreases. keep shopping the major mass retailers alot of times when you weigh the time $ over the actual cost$ it maybe worth while to shop the mass.
  • Options
    edharoldedharold Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You may or may not save money, as if you reload you will have to shoot a lot more to test your loads. On the other hand you can craft your loads to what you want and to test out your ideas. If like me you have created a couple of wildcats you will have to reload. Start small and see how you like it.
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been reloading since 1967 . I don't have the money that reloading has saved me, but I have done a lot of shooting that I wouldn't have done without reloading . The wife doesn't bother me when I'm down in the basement, I enjoy the challenge of making better ammo than I can buy, My son and I do all our hunting with handloads, in fact he has never shot a deer with store bought ammo. I find an extra degree of satisfaction in making the ammo that puts meat on my table and heads on the wall without fail. 40+ years and never a dud !!
  • Options
    omer5230omer5230 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been thinking of starting reloading in 8mm Mauser since my last hunting exsperiance.After patiencely waiting 15-20 minutes on a perfect shot to here my gun go snap.Its nothing to do with store bought ammo's price but what good is a rifle when you can't depend on it.I don't take faulty ammo lightly because a person life could be at stake and a snap is not the last thing I would want to here[V].

I've saved alot with reloading Pyrodex rounds to us in my antique sxs for hunting my average cost is $5.75 a box loaded with 1 1/8 #5 magnum shot without the count of my 3-4cent paper hulls that will get reloaded many times...So if a person needs to use special BP rounds like I did they could easy break even by loading up the first 4-5 boxes of shells.As to what certain people would charge for a BP box of shells.[:D]
  • Options
    onegreatshotonegreatshot Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    GOD YOU GUYS ARE GOOD, EVERYONE WAS CORRECT ON THERE RESPONCE TO THE QUESTION. OH YES, NOT A DIME SAVED TOSS YOUR BRASS AND HULLS ON THE GROUND AND JUST WALK AWAY.
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    with the wildcat cartridges is it possible to modify the cases yourself at home? as in making a 243 from a 308? i figured this was beyond backyard mechanics.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the reloading cost calculater at www.handloads.com , here are my costs for reloading a box of 50 of the following: 9mm $6.50, 38spl $6.45, .357mag $8.05, 40S&W $7.49, 45acp $7.44, 41mag $13.47, 44mag $10.46, 500S&W $24.50. I guess you all can tell me if reloading "saves money". I know it saves me $. These prices do vary depending on the price I pay for each component. reloading is a fun and practical hobby, and I would encourage everyone to try it.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joshmb1982
    with the wildcat cartridges is it possible to modify the cases yourself at home? as in making a 243 from a 308? i figured this was beyond backyard mechanics.

Josh
    Considering you can't but "pre-made" wildcat cases, the answer to your question is yes, you convert them yourself.
    As to the 308 to 243, yes, that is a do-able home project. You do need to check for "neck thickening", but again correcting that is not difficult (either ream or OD neck turn) to correct the issue.

The easiest to make are the "Ackley" type (fire a factory round in the "wildcat" chamber)
    Std_vs_Ackley.jpg
    Or you can get quite radical in your modifications
    Picture008-1.jpg
    Left started out as a 300 H&H, right started out as a 30-06, both are now 22cal's
    Or going in the other direction (bigger), the one on the right started out as a 50BMG case, that has had been straightened and had a rim added
    Picture003.jpg
    That's a "12ga From Hell" round. BTW, there is a thread about it on this forum. Mr Hubel also has his "700 Hubel Express" that features a 50BMG cas with a belt formed onto the case.
    IOW how far to you want to go?
  • Options
    dgacdgac Member Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You may not save the first time you load the brass but the 2nd and 3rd it does + factory loads dont group like the ones I make

dgac
  • Options
    jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954
    quote:Originally posted by joshmb1982

Josh
    Considering you can't but "pre-made" wildcat cases, the answer to your question is yes, you convert them yourself.
    As to the 308 to 243, yes, that is a do-able home project. You do need to check for "neck thickening", but again correcting that is not difficult (either ream or OD neck turn) to correct the issue.

The easiest to make are the "Ackley" type (fire a factory round in the "wildcat" chamber)
    Std_vs_Ackley.jpg
    Or you can get quite radical in your modifications
    Picture008-1.jpg
    Left started out as a 300 H&H, right started out as a 30-06, both are now 22cal's
    Or going in the other direction (bigger), the one on the right started out as a 50BMG case, that has had been straightened and had a rim added
    Picture003.jpg
    That's a "12ga From Hell" round. BTW, there is a thread about it on this forum. Mr Hubel also has his "700 Hubel Express" that features a 50BMG cas with a belt formed onto the case.
    IOW how far to you want to go?

22cal! Wow!!! Can we say OVERBORE![:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I originally got into hanloading here 3yrs ago for the accuracy aspect of it. I had just bought my Win. Mod,70 Stealth II in 308 and wanted better accuracy than I could get with FACTORY Match ammo. The best I every shot was Federal Gold and Black Hills 175gr and it got me into the .4 range @ 100yds. So I started hand loading, and a lot of reading. Then got into neck sizing, weighing and hand weighing each charge. Then started bore jumping. I started out with the most "RECOMMENDED" bullets Sierra, Lapua, and Hornady. Lets just say after about 400 Lapua and 1200 Sierra's I gave up on them. Stuck with the Hornady's because they got me down in the upper .3s with Reloader15 and Tried out some Berger's. THAT WAS THE END! It took me about 120 Berger 175grVLD's and I was down in the low .2s. All from a bone-stock Mod.70 and a cheap-* Barska Mil-dot.

It was then I realized that I could load almost 100rds of "Better than Factory Match Grade" ammo for my rifle for what it cost me for 20rds of GOOD Factory Match.

And then it just Snowballed from there to my 223, 30-30, 45ACP, 45 Colt, 38, 222, 22-250, and I have even severely expanded my caliber collection in the past year JUST because I don't have to rely on the availabilty and dread the cost of factory ammo.

There are many wonderful, helpful, and useful aspects to reloading, but regardless to that it WILL save you money sooner or later.

JT