In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Developing 6.5 Grendel Loads

I am now developing some new loads for my AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel with a 24" Sabre Defence Barrel. Based on the case family and bullet weight (123 gr), I believe that 7.62x39 data would be a good starting place.

Anyone have any comments or experience doing this?

6.5 Grendel data is quite sparse.

Claude Hill
Reloading and Shooting for over 50 years.

Comments

• Options
    reginhildreginhild Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go on over to www.65grendel.com/forums the largest amount of reloading info is posted there. [:)]
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    claudehill,

Go to www.alexanderarms.com then click on 6.5 Grendel then at the right of choices you will see reloading data. Click on those links and you will get an excel spreadsheet.

Something to remember is that the AA brass(Lapua) is small rifle and the Wolf(Prvi Partizan) is Large primer. Be careful when working it up in the Wolf stuff as an equal load of powder set off by a large primer causes high pressure signs. BTDT.

I have an overwatch and what I have found is just about exactly what those two sheets have said. I get a little bit lower velocity than what they say, but I was shooting in 20 degree weather with the 2520 powder. Which is notorious for cold weather dropoff.

Edit:

If this helps any. There is a narrow band of 'pressure enough' vs. burn speed. A slower powder should be able to get more velocity in a bolt gun. But since you will be reloading for a gas gun you have to have the pressure curve down to where your rifle will handle it at the gas port in the barrel. Otherwise you can have the pressure slam your action open too hard and break it that way. AA2520 fits that range perfectly with the small rifle primer. The 30.5 gr. of AA2520 behind a 123 Scenar is too hot. I know the Wolf reloading says only 2450 for the H4895 but I got over 2500 with mine. ...out in the cold.

Anyhow, I hope this helps. Ask any questions you need.