In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

magnum primers

peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
I have 2000 magnum primers and nothing to use them in, unless I can use them in place of regular primers. I was wondering can they be used for some light 45acp loads. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    When is it appropriate to switch from standard primers to magnum primers? I can see a need when using large amounts of powder in large cases(375 h&h) but what about smaller cases (22-250)? Has any one come up with a hard and fast rule. Most reloading manuals seem a little vague.[?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can I safely use magnum primers instead of standard Small Pistol in 38/357 loads without changing bullet/powder combo? Great deal on them at Wally World if I can. Plinking loads so I'm not worried about accuracy too much. Want to be able to hit what I shoot at though.[:)]
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd use them, just back off a bit on the powder charge. Limited test, but with my .44 mags (7.5 " barrel) I get nearly identical velocity/accuracy from 22 grains of 2400 with CCI 300 (standard) primers as I do from 21 grains with the 350 magnums.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Go ahead and use them with your light loads. You won't notice much difference, unless you use max loads.