In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sig 40SW 200gr cast

blueskiesblueskies Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
I have a Sig P226 40 cal and would like to reload Chey-Cast 200gr bullets using Power Pistol. The bullets are made in Cheyenne, WY with 96% lead, 6% antimony, and 2% tin, giving a BHN of 15. I picked them up due to thier expense of $33.00/500. Is their a concern using cast bullets in Sig? I heard Glock does not recommend them. Also, can you recommend a starting powder load? My Lyman Handbook only goes to 175gr recommending 5.8 - 6.5 gr.

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    check this site out www.handloads.com click on 'loaddata database" in upper left hand corner..fill in blanks and look for your combo. There is a load for a 200gr lead load with PowerPistol.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the reply reloader44mag. The only Power Pistol powder I saw was with a FMJ bullet:

FMJ 6.3 gr Power Pistol 960 fps 1.13" WSP Alliant
    Suggested starting load: 5.7 gr

Pressure: 33,700

Am I missing it?
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by blueskies
    Thanks for the reply reloader44mag. The only Power Pistol powder I saw was with a FMJ bullet:

FMJ 6.3 gr Power Pistol 960 fps 1.13" WSP Alliant
    Suggested starting load: 5.7 gr

Pressure: 33,700

Am I missing it?

Sorry, my bad I was concentrating on the powder you wanted to use and not the bullet, sorry... I did look at all my reloading manuals. I recently won a give away from member Nwcid, it was a Speer manual and I will quote one paragraph from the 40S&W section.."We are often asked for loading data for the Speer 200 grain TMJ in the 40S&W. When seated to the proper cartridge overall length(C.O.L.), the bullet heel is so deep in the case that sidewall bulges often develop with resulting failure to feed or chamber. Velocities are also quite low, so we don't recommend this bullet for the 40S&W". Just so you know the Speer manual does not list a load for the Speer 200gr TMJ for the 40S&W. Typically lead bullets diameters are .001 to .002 large than jacketed bullets, which may cause an even bigger problem as mentioned above. My guess is the 200gr bullet you describe in your first post may be intended more for the 10mm cartridge rather than the 40S&W. I may be wrong just a guess. I know this isn't what you're looking for but I thought it may be good info for you anyways. Good luck and hopefully someone will be along shortly to give the info you are looking for. reloader44mag.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am showing my inexperience in this subject matter; but that is what a forum is for - to learn. My box states 40 cal 10mm RN Dia: 0.401. My Layman Handbook for a 40 S&W states 0.4005" with a cast bullet for 0.401". The 10mm is 0.400" with a cast of 0.401". So I think I am ok. I now worry about leading my barrel. Should this be a concern?

The supply store I purchased these from stated they know people are using these cast bullets for match shooting. I will see if I can't get additional info from them. Thanks again.