In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NXS Vs IOR Vs US optics.

FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
I like good glass, What does US optics offer that the others don't?

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The reticle in umpteen different ways for starters. The scopes are custom from the ground up. So, they are expensive but they are the way you order them. Imagine a Nightforce that had the reticle you want. All set up for MOA...or MIL! NF are great scopes as from what I've seen and shot through (never owned one). The custom factor is a huge USO seller.

Edit: as a note, John from USO ran a reticle idea past a bunch of the hide members (he knows which ones have BTDT) and came up with a reticle that most closely represented whet most of the former CQB/urban combat dwellers appreciated in a fast aquisition reticle. he also did the same with his MOA reticles. Guys that have been there done that had a lot of input on his stuff and it reflects, as it it very 'user friendly' under short time requirements.

FWIW, I own one, and am a fan of USO. I know the cost is high. Not always justifiable, but high and you get what you pay for. You do the same with NF and S&B(I'm not a fan) too.

Edit:

I must also note that I own (2) Swarovski's, (1) IOR Valdada {with the MP-8 reticle} and a Meopta Meostar 3-12x56 as well as a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50. By most folks standards it's not all super 'tip-top' of the line, but it's some pretty good glass.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I have no experience with the USO but I own IOR and have shot NF.

I have 2 IOR's currently and had another one. My first had the MP8 reticle that I liked. The two newer ones have the MP8 Dot reticule that I love. If I was not so hooked on this reticle I think I would most likely have some NF's.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    The reticle in umpteen different ways for starters. The scopes are custom from the ground up. So, they are expensive but they are the way you order them. Imagine a Nightforce that had the reticle you want. All set up for MOA...or MIL! NF are great scopes as from what I've seen and shot through (never owned one). The custom factor is a huge USO seller.

Edit: as a note, John from USO ran a reticle idea past a bunch of the hide members (he knows which ones have BTDT) and came up with a reticle that most closely represented whet most of the former CQB/urban combat dwellers appreciated in a fast aquisition reticle. he also did the same with his MOA reticles. Guys that have been there done that had a lot of input on his stuff and it reflects, as it it very 'user friendly' under short time requirements.

FWIW, I own one, and am a fan of USO. I know the cost is high. Not always justifiable, but high and you get what you pay for. You do the same with NF and S&B(I'm not a fan) too.

Edit:

I must also note that I own (2) Swarovski's, (1) IOR Valdada {with the MP-8 reticle} and a Meopta Meostar 3-12x56 as well as a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50. By most folks standards it's not all super 'tip-top' of the line, but it's some pretty good glass.

Thanks Sandwarrior- I have 2 NF's with the NP-1RR retical, after a little more research I see what you mean. Some of them look like a F-15 heads up display.[:D]
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FrancF,

FWIW, if the right deal came along, ...at the right time(what's happened in the past to me, I would own a Nightforce in a second. Particularly the NP-R2 and the MLR reticles. I'm impressed by the optics and repeatability. One of the times I got to shoot a NF was @ 300 and we did the 'square' and it worked out near perfect. Good rifle to boot under it too, but it shows what a great scope can do.

I got into the USO scopes when two different shooters at our range let me shoot theirs. I was impressed and went to the website where I discovered each scope is handmade by one individual to the spec of the customer. This meant they had excellent customer service as a necessity. I've heard the same about NF, too. along with a good discussion about what you want the scope for. Nothing worse than getting all the lines and circles when you realize you may do one tactical comp a year...the rest of the time you BR shoot, where it's clutter and not necessary. As a tactical shooter(wannabe) I got the bare minimum tactical style reticle in MOA, the Type I. This reticle has stadia lines every two MOA and marks them every 10. They have other MOA type reticles as well, the PC, CMG, MD and RDP as well a different mil reticles. Each is $86-160. However, if you want your own custom it will cost $1k...It better be really worth it for that. It was a tough decision to buy that much scope but so far it has been worth it.

Edit:

Almost forgot, one of the best 'purpose' reticles I've seen is the JNG MOA reticle, available in the lower powered scopes. Makes quick aquisition easy and yet still allows good 7-800 yd. pinpoint accuracy.