In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Embarrassed......... and begging for help

Shot 3 rounds of skeet for the first time in my life today.......... 7 on the first, 2 yes 2 on the second, with a 12 ga O/U skeet/skeet Charles Daly.... changed to my trusty old 1959 Model-12 16ga Mod for the 3rd and still only hit 7.
Wind was blowing about 20 MPH and I know the gun doesn't make the shooter, but I have hunted quail all my life in much worse and sporting clays I hit about 50 to 60% ......
I'll go back tomorrow and prolly ever day after until I figure it out- but does anyone have a tip or 2? other than pulling my head out of my *ss before I pull the trigger.....

Comments

• Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    When my dad started shooting skeet and he couldn't hit much he bought inself some tracer shotgun shells. Once he worked out the lead...which was the problem...he was busting 22 to 23 a round. Broke some 25s and 50s and 75s and one 100 straight over the 10 or so years he shot skeet.
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shot skeet for many years, and introduced many new shooters over the years. The new shooter, very often a successful shotgunner hunting for many years, would usually only hit a couple to 5 birds the first few rounds. Don't worry, you'll get the picture soon.

Concentrate on basics: the mounting of the shotgun, tight to your shoulder, stock brought up snugly and firmly in place (the same place) each time. Lift your arms to bring the gun up to your face, instead of bending down with your neck and head to meet the stock. After you have determined the correct and consistent mounting of the shotgun is obtained, refocus your eyes away from the shotgun, its rib and sights, and concentrate on the bird. Your shotgun firmly mounted and an integral unit with you will follow your eye. Check your stance, foot placement so that you aren't straining to swing through the full arc of the bird's travel, upright stance with left knee (for a right-hander) slightly broke or flexed, and your whole body, not just your arms, do the swinging. Determine the necessary leads at each station, and remember to keep the gun swinging (a common error is to stop the gun just as the trigger is pulled), so follow through the bird as you shoot. And find a good coach in your club, who will help you verify good gun mounting, stance, swing, lead, and follow-through. And practice, you'll soon be powdering birds!
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Most shooters when hunting sort of snap shoot when shooting birds on the wing . I know I score much better when a surprised Flush then say watching a dove fly straight and true toward me from 300 yards away. 90 % of game hunters Shoot behind skeet birds.
  • Options
    rollnblockrollnblock Member Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ill give you one to try. Try to miss the target by shooting in front of it. you will be superised by the number you hit. Its not impossible to shoot in front of the clay but many new shooters dont relize the lead that is needed.
  • Options
    burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    Thank you gentlemen, not only for the tips- which I will try....... but for not laughing, at least not publicly at my ineptitude! [:D]
  • Options
    Bohunk3006Bohunk3006 Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    always remember too keep your head down on the stock. the tendency is to pick your head up and look for the bird
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    The skeet/trap club I shoot at has PVC pipes sticking up out of the ground about 18" in key points, marking the flight path of the target. Really helps a lot. Also, when you get on a station, point your body where you expect to break the bird, and then twist towards the thrower house. That way, as you track the bird you are un-winding as opposed to winding. come from behind the target, pull trigger as you pass it, and keep on moving that barrel. Don't get stuck on watchign the wad, etc.
  • Options
    336marlin336marlin Member Posts: 201 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I applaud your tenacity. I watched a guy with your drive become a world class shooter winning many state and zone championships along the way. Many days I saw him with a 5 gal buckett of reloads practicing away. It takes lots of practicing while along the way learning hold points and leads as you progress. Then the matter of gun fit will work its way in and you will start seeing improvement still. Many give this game up early and go to shooting trap. It takes lots of concentration to master the different leads from the eight stations. Don't get me wrong, trap's a great game too but usually a good skeet shooter does better at trap than a trap shooter does at skeet. Anyhow practice a lot with squad mates that will offer advice and then decide which advice you want to use. Two at low eight!!
  • Options
    Bill JordanBill Jordan Member Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love skeet. I shoot at a range at night with lights you can see from the space station! You can see the shot pass behind the birds all the time. "It don't mean a thing if you don't have that SWING'
    These are some tips I have, like others, head down, don't stop the gun , and a coach told me about a forend grip that has helped trap , skeet, and sporting clays. Only wrap 3 fingers around the forend, with the index finger pointing to the target. Try it!!
    BTW, I shoot a Chas Daly Miroku .410 SK-SK & still have not busted 25. But I'm #5 in my club's trap program!!
    Bill Jordan

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than to have a frontal lobotomy"
  • Options
    burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    Bill that 410 comment hurt, should have just told me you almost shoot 25 with a .22........... just kidding thanks for the advice and I'd love to see pics of that Daly. All my buddies are shooting Brownings and think my CD is one also because the Miroku engraving really didn't change much. And I hope you are reloading cause 410 shells are even worse than 16's!!

Regards, b