In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question on Leatherwood base system!

jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=617607&t=11082005

Does anyone have any "useful" experience with this system? All anyone has mentioned about it is that it is heavy, but offered no useful info on it.

I was doing some math with my pet load for my Mod.70 and "theoretical" with this base I could leave a 100yd zero in my scope and adjust this base 38MOA and hit darn near dead-on. This would greatly increase the potential of a 1/8MOA adjustment scope.

Comments

• Options
    Rule.303Rule.303 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I worked an ART II scope on an M21, for a while. It's an older Leatherwood style scope. That one was set for a 200 yard zero. Once you dialed in your zero, you simply dialed up the range on the range ring and you had first shot hits at that yardage. I found the whole system extremely simple and acurate. Just set your zero carefully. And be aware that the range ring is a cam arrangement, so keep it clean.

Carlos would be proud!!!
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jtmarine0831,

I have an original ART scope. It's like '303's except it only goes out to 600 yds.

The product your looking at would seem to me that leatherwood finally made something really useful. On my ART scope I have to have a special base for it so I can even put it on a rifle. It doesn't match Picatinny and it won't match any number of different Weaver bases on various rifles of different spacing. The only thing I know it matches is the mount that goes on the M14/21 and I don't own one.

So, getting to the piece it would be very useful if you wanted to set out a long zero and have more come up from there. You have all the travel your scope has. Then, you have all the travel your mount has. If you have a rifle that can use that much range then it's a good thing. If you don't, then it's a cool gadget -that doesn't work in the field.

Edit:

Per para II. The ART is a good idea except it only ranges out 100m past max point blank zero. The ART II, which I saw a lot of, but used only twice ranges a lot farther. This mount differs I would assume since it doesn't rely on the reticle sizing the target to turn up the elevation. It apears that your elevation is separate from the power ring of the scope which sets your elevation on the older ART and ART II scopes.