In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shotshell reloaders question.

VinegarJimVinegarJim Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
Do any of my fellow shotshell reloaders use over-shot cards? Always? Sometimes? Any thoughts? [?]

Comments

• Options
    336marlin336marlin Member Posts: 201 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Always when roll crimping; sometimes to take up space under a fold crimp. A time consuming step in the loading process I use only for developing field loads with a single stage loader.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many years ago when I did occasionally load black powder shells for one of my Parkers, the only way to get anything resembling a suitable powder/shot combination was to forget the folded crimp and rely on the roll crimp and overshot wad. Splashed a lot of ducks.
    Done right it's as good as any modern shell...but it takes practice.
  • Options
    FWAdditFWAddit Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I had an old 12 ga. double with 2 5/8" chambers, I would cut off plastic shells at the point where the crimp started. Then I loaded them with an overshot wad and pinched the plastic shell down firmly over it with a crimp starter. The trick worked acceptably, though not as well as an actual roll crimp.