In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

reloading questions

dgacdgac Member Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
are Lee reloading dies any good, I heard they are not the best.

Also i have some reloading data, for bullet there are abbreviations SIE round nose, SPR soft point, HDY JRN. Are SIE, SPR, and HDY the companies that make the bullet.

Comments

• Options
    dgacdgac Member Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What happens if you touch your primers? Hang Fires and duds? or nothing most of the time?

dgac
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Nothing as long as your hands are dry and free of any oil.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    If you use case lube to size and then touch the case and then pick up a primer to install in the primer punch you will get misfires

When I first started loading it was for rifles I lubed the cases then sized them then picked up the primer to put on the primer punch this was on a single station press that sized on the up-stroke and installed primer on the same down-stroke first 20 rounds had 4 DUDS[xx(][:(] I started loading on a star reloading machine in 1972 and This machine has an auto primer feed Your hands never touch a primer. I have loaded over 300,000 rounds of 45ACP with this machine and have NEVER had even one dud. [^][:p][:D] For those who understand no explanation is needed and for those who don't understand no explanation is possible.
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prior to handling primers, wash your hands!
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    The only handling of primers I do is if one or two won't flip rightside up in my primer tray.

Never had an issue. Yes, I've had the occasional dud primer but out of tens of thousands that's gonna happen now and then anyhow.
  • Options
    Malcolm7Malcolm7 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In order to avoid this issue completely, get a Lee Auto Prime. it is well worth the $20.00 investment.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yep, lee autoprime
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a Lee hand primer. I don't end up touching many primers that way.
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been using the Lee for over twenty years and can count the number of reloaded dud primers on one hand. Lee +++
  • Options
    amamnnamamnn Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Somewhere in the stacks of back issues of all the gun rags I take and have taken, there are a few very interesting articles about primers. These articles were written by people who actually experimented with primers to find out the truth if possible, and not just repeat old wive's tales.

The relevant one as far as this thread is concerned was written by someone who tried to foul primers. He tried various things smeared, stuck, poured over and pressed onto the face of a great number of primers. What he found was that there did not seem to be any big difference in the primers' function or effect on the load until he actually slathered or poured insane amounts of oils and other contaminants on them.

While it's certainly a good idea to wash your hands before you go to the loading bench, we might also mention that it's a good idea to wash them when you're done. Those primers have lead in them........

We might more profitably spend time worrying over how uniform our primer seating is...
  • Options
    glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last week while I was prepping a few hundred .45-70 cases, I accidentally got some lube inside a few cases that were already primed. I grabbed an old Trapdoor carbine and went out back with the primed but contaminated cases and popped each one. I was astounded at the difference in sound they made from one case to another. About two thirds of them gave the expected sharp crack you would expect from firing just a primer. Most of the other third gave a much lower sound level. One did not fire at all.