In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Finding accuracy with faster powders.

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
If you have a "standard hunting" accuracy barrel that shoots 1" and you re-chamber to another caliber can accuracy be improved by seeking a sweet spot with powder selection?

In this case it was a 22 Hornet that did not shoot great. It is now a 22BR. Looking back over my test targets shows groups hovering at about an inch with occasional fliers. ( I hate fliers).

I've been using varget and 4895, Benchmark made for good MV but poor accuracy. Could I improve accuracy by playing around with the N133 powder I have base on nononsense's load recommendation of 28.5 grains?? Would barrel harmonics be faster with faster powders?

I guess what I am asking is if the harmonics is dependant upon powder burn rate; or is it dependant upon the barrel itself, regardless of the burn rate.

Comments

• Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Harmonics is a combination of how the two react to each other...combined with the bullet weight. Even though today's technology is tons better than it was years ago, there is still the possibility that one side gets better heat treatment/tempering/annealing than the other. The barrel would act like a diving board through that axis. A burn rate of powder could be the right(or wrong) harmonic to trigger too much movement in that barrel. When you see a pattern to your fliers, I always assume that is what is happening. I then change the loads. The bullet weight can be a factor as well through a range of powder speeds.