In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

FYI on new powders

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
I have been hesitant to try new powders over the years. There just did not seem to be a need to try Varget over 4895 or Tite-Group over Bullseye. My mind set was; it works fine, leave it alone, pass the jug of 4895 please.

Wow was I wrong. Recently I loaded some of the new Tite-Group into .357 cases pushing a 160 grain wad cutter for target shooting. After 25 rounds fired there was nothing to clean up. If I had used Bullseye I would be scrubbing the grey residue from the gun, bore and my hand. Tite-Group has low charge weights for economy and is clean to use. Accuracy was very good, I was able to see the target at all times because there was no smoke!

Varget is another powder that has reduced group sizes on many rifles. It just seems to burn at the right rate to make bullets fly true. It won over 4895 in my 6MM BR by grouping about .025 better on a consistent basis. I tried several times with several bullets and Varget won most of the time. Until a friend cajoled me into trying Varget 4895 was my powder of choice, it is now Varget.

We all have our go-to powders for our favorite calibers; but if you are an old-fart stick in the mud; try some of the new stuff too. You will not be disappointed.

Comments

• Options
    amamnnamamnn Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you liked Varget you'll love N-135 or N-540 in that 6BR, depending upon bullet weight. Just curious---I'm guessing that's a 6 BR rem not a norma?
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by amamnn
    If you liked Varget you'll love N-135 or N-540 in that 6BR, depending upon bullet weight. Just curious---I'm guessing that's a 6 BR rem not a norma?

Sorry but you guessed wrong, it's a 6br Norma my fat bellied friend is shooting, and he's getting very good with it......
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrbruce
    quote:Originally posted by amamnn

Sorry but you guessed wrong, it's a 6br Norma my fat bellied friend is shooting, and he's getting very good with it......

It is easy to shoot good, you built it!!!!!!! [:D]
  • Options
    amamnnamamnn Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh well, I was hoping to find another 6BR rem nut to swap lies with......................the Vihtavuori affection still applies.........
  • Options
    RayzillaRayzilla Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back on the subject of powders... Which ones are the cleanest? I'm getting back into reloading and remember the 231 powder I used to load 9mm a few years back was really dirty. This Tite-Group sounds much cleaner. What other powders are really clean and still accurate?

THANKS!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rayzilla
    Back on the subject of powders... Which ones are the cleanest? I'm getting back into reloading and remember the 231 powder I used to load 9mm a few years back was really dirty. This Tite-Group sounds much cleaner. What other powders are really clean and still accurate?

THANKS!

I have a jug of tite-group and it works so well that I will never need Bullseye or Red Dot again. Blue Dot seems great in the 44 mag but accuracy is not as good as I get with 2400.