In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Primer Availability

aap2aap2 Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
I reload a lot and the recent "shortage" of primers has me concerned. I just bought 5,000 WLR primers and will buy a similar number of SRP as soon as I find them. WHen finances permit, I plan on buying a lifetime supply if the case prices stay at around $125 or so which is what I pay for 5,000. I'm trying to guard against future large price increases, they wil go in a dry storeage area (was thinking GI ammo cans, but maybe not. any issues with stability over, say, 20-30 years? I'n still shooting primes from the 1970's with no problems. I hate to overbuy or "hoard", but I can't pay the ridiculous prices that local dealers want for only 100, even when they have them. thanks

Comments

• reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just purchased 1000 CCI 500(small pistol) and 1000 CCI 300(large pistol) for 25.99 per 1000 at Sportsmans Warehouse today. The shelves were alittle bare but they had them. I try to keep around 3000 of each on hand at any given time.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Keep them cool and dry and they will last longer than you will...
    Want some good deals on some great primers ?
    Check out the Mag primers from Wolf, the ones made in Russia.
    They will make a believer out of you, and the price is a plus....
  • nambu1nambu1 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with mrbruce. I have used 5000 of the Wolf standard LR primers and did not have any problems with them. The price is right.
  • glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had trouble obtaining Federal primers, especialy 215s, for several months. CCIs are readily available.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Brunos has lots of 210M's in stock now.......
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm still a newby but all my reading has warned against storing primers in metal ammo cans. Too much explosion w/ shrapnel risk in a fire.

I recently bought 5k of Wolf large pistol primers for $117.92 shipped from Wideners.

The $117.92 included $8.92 for shipping and $20 for the Hazmat charge. Price before all those fees was $89 for 5k primers.

Seemed like Wideners had the best deal.