In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.300 Rem Ultra Mag reloads

fossfoss Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
just bought a 300 rem ultra mag, and im loking for some good reloading info. I primarily hunt mule deer and elk, but any info would be great.. thanx

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    foss,

Reloading for the .300 RUM is no different that loading for any other cartridge. The powder manufacturers and some of the bullet makers have manuals in book form and some information online as well. This is usually the best place to start simply because all rifles are different and no rifle will perform the same with loads from other shooters. You're better off using book data and developing your own loads.

Since commercial gunmakers don't use barrels longer than 26", you're better off starting with heavy bullets to get the most efficiency from this cartridge. I use the heavier bullets available starting with 180 gr. and going heavier up to 220 gr. My favorite bullets are from Berger and Retumbo plus Re-25 top the best powder list for my tests.

The newer mono-metallic bullets from Barnes, Nosler and Lapua work well in this cartridge since they are ostensibly solids and won't have a tendency to come apart if you choose to use lighter bullet just to get near lightspeed velocities. There are several custom bullet makers working with a good number .308 bullets for competition and long range hunting also.

Best.