In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

fireforming 222 from 223 cases

hpsarsohpsarso Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
I'm looking to find any information(or a point in the right direction)how to fireform 222 cases out of 223 cases. Any info would be greatly appreciated as I have a tackdriver varmint rifle in that caliber...thanks

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Run them through the 222 sizing die, then trim about .060 off them and load and fire form.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Do you anneal the casemouths first or afterwards(to soften them to make them easier on the sizing die?)...thanks
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Not sure you will successfully run a 223 case into a 222 sizing die and make a 222 case in one pass. I think you will need one in-between forming die. Maybe two. But I think one form die and then a final pass in the 222 sizer...as noted you will need to trim too.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hpsarso,

Do like DCS shooter said. Except I would check the neck thickness. If that's okay then shoot 'em out. If you have a tight neck you may need to neck turn them.

Also, anneal them after two or three loadings as needed. You won't need to anneal them first. My best groups came from sizing down LC brass to .222 and fired them out of my .222 Win 70 HB. Mine sized down in one shot. {oops, pun NOT intended}
    Edit:
    They sized down with one sizing then fire-formed. They shot the best groups on the second and third go-rounds. I annealed after the second firing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info.I have plenty of LC casings(b4 the prices went sky high) so I'm sure that I'll have to adjust my load data because of the difference in case thicknesses also...thanks again
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I just love it when a poster answers a question with a --I'm not sure, and I think maybe---