In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

44 Rem Mag

savage204savage204 Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
I'm reloading and have my cases cleaned, sized and deprimed. The book says case length is 1.285 then says to trim to 1.275. My cases are
measuring 1.280,,,,do I have to trim them? I am shooting a Ruger Redhawk 44 Rem Mag revolver. I don't want to trim a thousand rounds if
it is not necessary. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the help,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Joe

Comments

• Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To trim, or not to trim? I personally have never trimmed any case that I use in a handgun. I have reloaded thousands of rounds of 44mag for handgun and have never had any issues by not trimming. Some here may have other opinions...just giving you my 2 cents.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    In the thousands of 44mag. I have reloaded, I've found the case will crack before needing trimed. For that matter, I have never had to trim any hand gun brass.
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only reason I have ever had to trim .44 Magnum brass is using different brands and/or lots, and the cartridge case lengths sometimes vary. I normally roll crimp into the groove of cast bullets, and the crimp would be inconsistent if all cases were not trimmed to the same length. I know it would be better to not mix brands and lots, but truthfully I haven't been able to tell any difference over the last 40 years when firing mixed-brand cases in my handguns; they all seem to shoot into good groups if I do my part. The consistent crimp might be at least as important as whatever minor interior case capacity variance there might be.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag
    To trim, or not to trim? I personally have never trimmed any case that I use in a handgun. I have reloaded thousands of rounds of 44mag for handgun and have never had any issues by not trimming. Some here may have other opinions...just giving you my 2 cents.
    Thanks for the info 44, I do appreciate it. It may only be 2
    cents to you but its worth a couple of bucks to me. That is gonna save
    me a lot of time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    In the thousands of 44mag. I have reloaded, I've found the case will crack before needing trimed. For that matter, I have never had to trim any hand gun brass.
    Thank you very much DCS. This is going to help me a lot. I do
    appreciate the reply.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PA Shootist
    The only reason I have ever had to trim .44 Magnum brass is using different brands and/or lots, and the cartridge case lengths sometimes vary. I normally roll crimp into the groove of cast bullets, and the crimp would be inconsistent if all cases were not trimmed to the same length. I know it would be better to not mix brands and lots, but truthfully I haven't been able to tell any difference over the last 40 years when firing mixed-brand cases in my handguns; they all seem to shoot into good groups if I do my part. The consistent crimp might be at least as important as whatever minor interior case capacity variance there might be.
    Thanks PA shootist. I appreciate your thoughts and reply. I'm
    not going to trim. I'm glad I asked the ? and got these responses. At first I thought it was a dumb question. Have a great New Years.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by savage204
    quote:Originally posted by PA Shootist
    Thanks PA shootist. I appreciate your thoughts and reply. I'm
    not going to trim. I'm glad I asked the ? and got these responses. At first I thought it was a dumb question. Have a great New Years.
    In my mind there is no dumb question when it comes to reloading...good luck to ya. reloader44mag