In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Any Help? Hornady 45 cal 250 gr HP/XTP loads

MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
I asked over in GD about possibly using this bullet for a 45 acp bullet. I use it now in my muzzle loader with a sabot. Anyone ever try it and what was the result.

Comments

• Options
    CryptoChiefCryptoChief Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heaviest load that I show for a jacketed bullet for the 45ACP is a 230 grain bullet. The 45 cal bullets in the heavier weights are usually for cartriges such as the 45 Colt, 454 Casull, 460 S&W, 45 Winchester Magnum, etc. The Hornady loading manual seventh edition shows the 250 grain bullet as a .452 diameter which is not the .451 standard for the 45 ACP. .452 is ok in the ACP if you are using cast bullets. The heaviest bullet Hornady shows for the ACP is 230 grain. Personally I stick with what the manuals show and don't push the envelope. Unless someone has data on the 250 in the ACP I believe following the manual is the safest way to go.

CC
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I'm happy to see I'm not the only one who believes they shouldn't be used, even if they are ONLY a .001 difference [:D]
  • Options
    MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrbruce
    I'm happy to see I'm not the only one who believes they shouldn't be used, even if they are ONLY a .001 difference [:D]

Makes sense, I'll just use them in the muzzleloader