In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45/90

david5711david5711 Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
Has anyone ever managed to find any load data for 45/90 in smokeless, all the load data i can find is blackpowder and seems to me to be mostly for CAS.

additionally i cannot find any factory 45/90 that isn't blackpowder, and i am loath to run blackpowder through my rifle especially since it is designed for smokeless, i can't imagine that would be healthy for my gun. also using blackpowder seems like it would defeat the purpose as (unless im mistaken) i don't think the blackpowder will give me the ballistic performance i am looking for. I may as well stick to half * factory 45/70 smokeless loads rather then waste the time and effort loading blackpowder 45/90 that doesn't give me increased performance.

So long and short of it i have some lovely starline brass collecting dust when they ought to be collecting carbon, any help pointing me to the right load book or other source of information would be awesome.

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Have you looked at data.hogdon.com I know they have 45-120 loads.
    Also try www.loaddata.com they have a bunch of 45-90 loads.
    www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage.asp?CaliberID=92 has downloads.
    These places will give you all the load info you want.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just use any data for the 45-70. Hodgens list loads for the "Ruger Rifles" that are warmer than the factory stuff. (factory has to be safe in trapdoor Springfields)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    mine is a bolt action and modern enough to take full saami standard pressures for the brass, so i was hoping to find data that would be a 45/90 "all the way" not just 45/70, after all why spend more money on the brass if you aren't going to put more powder in it?

thanks for the links though DCS, i'll check those out
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    I have smokeless loads for 45-70 and 45-120 probably could extraplate some loads. Also have loads for the 50-90 again smokeless.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    45-120... I really want one of those... I am so green with envy right now [;)]
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Not sure it would fit a bolt action...the loaded round is about 4 inches long. If you get one get a Sharps.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 5mmgunguy
    Not sure it would fit a bolt action...the loaded round is about 4 inches long. If you get one get a Sharps.

i have a bolt action .505 and they make bolt action 50bmg and 20mm, so if there is a will there is a way. it would prolly just require a custom action. or perhaps modify a 50bmg bolt... who knows, i'll let you know in a few years after i get a mill and lathe for the garage
  • Options
    CryptoChiefCryptoChief Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lyman's reloading manual #49 has tons of data on the old Sharps cartridges including the 45/90. There are about 5 or 6 different powders that you can use. One of the most popular is Accurate 5744 which can be used for even the 45/120 and 50 can Sharps. I use it in my 45/120 and it works just fine.

CC
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    ", so i was hoping to find data that would be a 45/90 "all the way" not just 45/70,"...if you are looking for 'published' data like the high end .45/70 loads (#1 ruger & siamese Mauser loads) you won't find any. there arn't any (enought) .45/90's built on 'strong' actions. you will just have to 'wing' it and work up from top end .45/70 data.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks wiskey, i'll have to do a lil experimentation, i'll work with some of the published 45/70 and 45/90 loads and try to get something that is as close to full (safe) saami standards
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Try Lyman 48th edition Reloading Handbook. They list 4 diferent bullet weights for the 45-90, 385-400-500-535grs, and 10 different powders. I have the best results with RX7 in my 45-110 ballard.
    W.D.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    Try Lyman 48th edition Reloading Handbook. They list 4 diferent bullet weights for the 45-90, 385-400-500-535grs, and 10 different powders. I have the best results with RX7 in my 45-110 ballard.
    W.D.

lyman 48th, check
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Ken Waters' book, "Pet Loads" (about $45 or so), has two pages of loads (about fifty combinations - seven bullet weights, six or so powders) for your .45-90, along with a quick presentation of another fifteeen loads.