In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hornady new dimension dies

dgacdgac Member Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
Are these good dies? I know nothing about them. Thanks for the info

dgac

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like mine. I bought a set in 7.5x55 Swiss though and it had the original 1896 cartridge dimensions instead of the newer K-31 dimension. Made resizing a bear. But bullet seating was still very good after going to a Redding FL sizer. I have no problems with the .308 or the .300 WSM
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I have only used them in the TiN (not to be confused with tin) pistol dies. I will not go back to carbide and have even replaced the couple sets of carbide I had.
  • Options
    amamnnamamnn Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The ones I had were just fine. I only got rid of them because the micrometer add on part for the seating die was too tall for my co-ax press.
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have them in several rifle and pistol cals and work fine for me. Easy fingertip adjustment, like the zip spindle.
  • Options
    DEEREHARTDEEREHART Member Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do have several and do feel that they are some of the better dies out there. the seating dies with the floating sleeve works very well in my progessive press. I did have one problem with a 22-250 AI size die and contacted hornady the customer service was as good as could be, problem solved quickly. hope this helps
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Over the years I've replaced most of my RCBS with the Hornadys. Quality and service are top rate and I especially like the seating die and expander buttons. I've kept a few sets of Bonanza and Redding dies, but definately prefer the Hornady to the RCBS, Lyman and C.H. that used to take up a lot of space on my loading bench.
  • Options
    wintu51wintu51 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    On average, Hornady sizer dies tend to make straighter cases (as measured on a RCBS Casemaster)than most of the other sets I have. Those include Lee, RCBS, Redding and Forster. Only one set of nine Hornadys size cases with more than .002" of runout. This may have to do with the eliptical expander. The seaters work well, but I wish the sliding bullet chamber has a tighter fit; like the Forsters or Redding Competition seaters.I don't think you can do any better with any other common die sets.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love'm

the seater will floating bullet holder is a must for those tiny little 17cal pills

the bench used to be full of green RCBS boxes now the red Hornady boxes are slowly taking over as I have money to upgrade
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1