In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is Reloading worth it for me.

IngallsIngalls Member Posts: 304 ✭✭✭
I am in the very early stages of getting in to reloading. In looking at past topics, I know I have to get some books and start reading, but some questions wont be answered by a book. I am trying to figure out if would be worth the investment for me. I plan to reload .38, .357, .40, .44, and .45ACP, with the .40 being jacketed so I can shoot it in my Glock. I would guess I would reload 200 rounds a month more or less depending how many times I get to the range. Speed of loading them isnt really a factor. And I really dont have an interest (for now) in experimenting with different loads, this would just be to eventually save money on ammo. For those who know all the investments and hidden costs of reloading, is this something that would make sense to pursue. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The more expensive the factory ammo, the more cost effective it is to reload. The 44 spl/mag stuff would be your best place to start, followed by the 38/357 and than the 45ACP
  • Options
    awindsawinds Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it's worth it for everyone.
    But there are some "hidden" costs............
    After you get started, you will realize that
    you never have enough reloading stuff, there's always
    room for more "tools", different powders, new bullets, etc.
    If I were you, I'd "go for it".
  • Options
    shooteroneshooterone Member Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont think anyone can really answer your question with a positive answer. I look at like this: Shooting is a hobby. Reloading is a hobby. Any hobby is going to cost you money. Going fishing cost you money. You can buy a model plane kit for $50 and spend weeks building it, and at the end what do you got? A plastic plane which you cant give away. But, you had a lot of fun for weeks building it. If you have a interest, try it. Get in small. If you dont like it, if you think its too expensive, get out of it. Sell your stuff. So you lose a few bucks, at least you tried it and now you know what you want or dont want.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the long run, few people actually spend less money by reloading.

If you compare the cost of the ammo alone, you can reload for about half to as little as a third the cost of factory ammo. The equipment and component costs amortize very quickly. So why isn't that a savings? Because you'll shoot two to three times as much of it. In the end, you wind up spending the same amount of money as before, but you'll be shooting more.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would go for it if I were you. Even if you don't save any money, you'll be having more fun for the same cost. I would start small and after you decide you like it and are going to stick with it then you can buy a few nicer tools to make the process easier and faster. You may want to look into a turret press for your needs. Some you can lock in place so you are only doing one step at a time and then when you get the hang of it you can unlock it and load your ammo faster.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You all make some good points. If I reload, Im tempted to shoot more, and when a bug bites me, I go full bore which means more and better tools. Well, its off to the library after a call to get a Midway cataloge.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now that you've decided, may I invite you to read my article "Reloading 101" on my website at http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_files/Reloading 101.htm

My unvarying suggestion for new reloaders is to first buy the Lyman Reloading Manual and carefully read the entire front half (the How and Why section) before you buy any hardware.

When you are ready, buy a reloading kit with most of what you need in it. All makers sell them, and all modern equipment is top notch. Some are a bit heavier-duty, but all are satisfactory. Do begin with a single-stage press, not a progressive machine. Progressives are great for high volume, but not so good for learning the process.

And do feel free to ask questions. There will be a lot of them!
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK, hows this for a sign from above...I just opened the mailbox, and there is a Blue Press catalog that I never ordered in it. This could get ugly.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ingalls,

I'll just tell you in a nutshell right now that hands down you will have better ammo and save a bunch of money to boot if you reload. I have never been sorry for getting into all the reloading I do. I will acknowledge there are "hidden costs" but they always come along when I want to do something else with reloading that will cost me even more to buy the product in the store.

As a fair comparison, you shoot 200 rounds a month. Right now good(not great) target ammo is $20.00 a box. That's $80.00 a month. Bulk bullets are $.10 each powder per case(pistol) is about $.02 Cases are .$15-$.25 but can be re-used avg. 5 times so case cost is $.05 .10+.05+.02= $.17x50=$8.50 That's an $11.50 savings per box or $46.00 per month. The first month pays for 2 sets of dies.

Even standard ammo for 30-06 is cheaper to make yourself. I can buy bulk bullets @ $.20 ea. Powder runs $.18. Cases are usually free as I pick them up in our reload barrels all the time. $.38x20= $7.60 per box. That's half of what you pay at a discount store! You can even 'tweak' standard ammo to better work in your firearm. No question about it. Reloading is WAY better.
  • Options
    jsurvantjsurvant Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently got into reload. Been doing it for about one year. Yes it is worth it. It is alot cheaper and ammo just keeps going up. You will realize the cost benefits sooner if you don't overspend and a press/press kit. There are some very expensive ones out there. Try (research) the Lee Deluxe Turret press. Very fair price and excellent quality. There are alot of presses and dies out there that are more expensive and in my opinion you really may not even need to spend more....Good luck. You will be hooked right off the bat.

J
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,975 ******
    edited November -1
    "I just opened the mailbox, and there is a Blue Press catalog that I never ordered in it. This could get ugly.".....dillion has very good equipment and nice people, just give them a call and order 1 of everthing[;)]
  • Options
    DENWADENWA Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't forget.

Reload supplies (Brass, Lead, Primers) are increasing at ~15% per year.

That is a better investment than ANY 401K right now.

If later you decide it not worth it. Just sell your remaining supplies here on GB and break even in about 2 yrs.

Just a thought.

How many of you out there go back and look at the cost label on the Boxes on your bench and wish you'd bought more at that price!
  • Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    Not to mention the satisfaction of shooting your own ammo.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rocky Raabs link was very informative. Im keeping an eye out for the book.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DENWA
    Don't forget.

That is a better investment than ANY 401K right now.

If later you decide it not worth it. Just sell your remaining supplies here on GB and break even in about 2 yrs.

Just a thought.

How many of you out there go back and look at the cost label on the Boxes on your bench and wish you'd bought more at that price!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry I am still trying to figure out this 'quote thing. Actually to be exact: Brass and Lead costs are falling. Brass was about $1.75/lb and is not at about .25 - .50 cents/lb for recycling right now. However, the price of copper is drastically rising. No matter which way it does DENWA is right, you are generally going to be ahead reloading.

quote:Originally posted by DENWA
    Don't forget.

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ingalls
    I am in the very early stages of getting in to reloading. In looking at past topics, I know I have to get some books and start reading, but some questions wont be answered by a book. I am trying to figure out if would be worth the investment for me. I plan to reload .38, .357, .40, .44, and .45ACP, with the .40 being jacketed so I can shoot it in my Glock. I would guess I would reload 200 rounds a month more or less depending how many times I get to the range. Speed of loading them isnt really a factor. And I really dont have an interest (for now) in experimenting with different loads, this would just be to eventually save money on ammo. For those who know all the investments and hidden costs of reloading, is this something that would make sense to pursue. Thanks.

Reloading is part of the hobby of shooting. When yo start reloading your horizon expands, you can become a better shooter and still have money left over. Save your money and buy decent equipment, it will not let you down. FWIW I am helping a friend set up a Lee Press, dies and powder measure. I don't like the press and the powder measure but that dislike is unfair. Both work fine and will last a long time. They are not what I am used to using, RCBS and other steel presses and powder dispensers.

BTW, after you start reloading, bullet casting will soon follow! [:D]
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    For me, what began as a quest to improve my shot-to-kill ratio on the prairie dog towns of Northeastern Colorado quickly became an all-consuming hobby.

And the information I've gleaned not only from the reloading books, but from fellow reloaders here in GunBroker and about town is priceless.

Lately, I've been going to a lot of gun auctions to find good deals on supplies. I've probably got components for tens of thousands of handun rounds and thousands of rifle rounds.