In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

lead bullet weights?

swagg68swagg68 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
I have been molding 9mm-125gr lead round nose bullets and have noticed that almost all of them weigh around 128 grains by using Ohaus 5-0-5 and RCBS 5-10 scales with exact results. Is this weight differnce something to worry about. We are using Lee molds which are advertised as 125 grain bullets. Also have some lead store bought 9 mmm -124 lead, which weighs around 126 grains.

Is this discrepancy anything to worry about or would you think the variable bullet weight from advertised mold weight due to the lead bullet composition?

Comments

• Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Yep - tin is not as dense as pure lead. If you are plinkin', not important. If you are using the bullets for competition, then yes it is important - nearing 1% variation.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello The pistol the target and the shooter will never know the different unless you are shooting past 25 yards.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The lead composition will make a difference in the bullet weight. You can weight bullets from the major casters and 1-2gr difference.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is almost impossible to get two batches of lead alloy identical. Weight variation as small as you are getting is really not a big deal. The mold manufacturers advertised weight is for alloy they used, your three grain difference is actually pretty common.
  • Options
    swagg68swagg68 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the responses. What you guys said is what I thought. I have been debating my reloading partner about this topic for a week and he is convinced we have a problem. You all have confirmed my suspicions.