In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

375 Winchester with Black Powder?

my-handymanmy-handyman Member Posts: 298 ✭✭
I have a Contender with a 14" barrel. If I loaded the 375 with FF powder and a 200 jacketed bullet (not sure about the powder WT, can't find any info). What kind of velovery should I expect, will all the powder burn?? Has anybody tryed this combo? Any info on aload for a 375 Win would be very helpful!! Thanks

Comments

• Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    The 375 Win is nothing more than an updated 38-55 Ballard, kinda like the 450 Marlin is to the 45-70 Gov. Originaly I think the 38-55 was loaded with a 255gr lead roundnose over probably 52-54gr of FF, I don't think your going to get enough powder in that case to cause a problem. Fill the case to the top with double or tripple F and see how much it holds, decrease that amount by about 1gr and seat a bullet ontop and crimp. MAKE SURE the powder is compresed. In other words you can't hear anything when you shake the case. In a short barreled gun like yours I would use FFF. Read anything that Duke Venturino writes about reloading black powder cartriges, he's the best.
    W.D.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup, should work fine. Black isn't actually loaded by weight, but by volume. The correct amount is however much BP it takes to fill up to the base of the bullet, plus about an eighth of an inch.

Stick to lead bullets only, and very soft ones at that. Use the correct bullet lube. (SPG lube was designed for BP) Using a long drop tube somehow makes BP burn cleaner and better. Nobody knows why, but it has been decisively proven. Magnum primers also help.

Always clean your brass cases IMMEDIATELY. (Take a bucket of soapy water to the range and drop them in.) Slosh some through the barrel while at the range, too. Then clean the barrel immediately when you get home. Soapy water or Windex work as well as anything you can buy.

That's virtually all I know about BP. Those with more experience are welcome to add or correct me.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Ditto on the proper lube. If you use jacketed bullets, I'd put a grease cookie over the powder, or you're going to get horrible fouling very quickly.

The purpose of the drop tube is to help settle the powder. You can do this by tapping the case about 30 times once the powder is in too, or by covering the neck and holding against a vibrating tumbler.
  • Options
    my-handymanmy-handyman Member Posts: 298 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    GUYS: THANKS for all the info!!! One last question. How about the black powder subsitute -Triple7 or Pyrodex?? Is the procedure the same, Fill case, grease cookie, drop tube....? What started all this is in Michigan, black powder pistols just have to have black powder to use then for muzzle loading deer season (rifle do have to be a muzzle loaders. Thanks Again!! Vern
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's no one rule for the various substitutes. Some can be used in cartridges, some cannot, and some can, but with restrictions or special procedures. You'll have to research them individually.

I know that Pyrodex has a "CTG" or Cartridge granulation, but beyond that, I am not sure.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want an easy way out for hunting and they allow fake powders, get some 777 and load whatever amount fills the case to the base of the seated bullet plus a LITTLE for compression, not over 1/10 inch. Does not gum up with ordinary hard wax bulle lube and cleans up with clear water. I think you can treat the new, wonderful, and expensive Blackhorn 209 the same way.

Less fuss than real black or Pyrodex if all you want to do is go hunting.

Velocity might be 1100 fps with the old standard 255 grain .38-55 bullet.