In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

9mm OAL (max and min) Question?

jsurvantjsurvant Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
I have loaded before, but am new to 9mm reloading. There seems to be alot of discussion regarding OAL for this load. I have seen OAL ranges from 1.115 to 1.30. I am loading 115 grain FMJ. I have a few question if any of you 9mm loaders can help out:

1. Is this load that sensitive to OAL?
2. What OAL do you think average 115 grain factory are?
3. What is the best all around OAL for a 115gr practice load?

Thank you in advance.

J

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I've found that as long a my OAL 9mm's will go in the magazine, they feed OK. I load them with about a 1/6in. clearance.
  • jsurvantjsurvant Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Excellent. Thank you. I like the simplicity of that. These things can get very technical quickly. But then again, that is the fun part too. Cheers.
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    I've found that as long a my OAL 9mm's will go in the magazine, they feed OK. I load them with about a 1/6in. clearance.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as you keep your oal equal to or more than the loading manuals oal no problem. As stated your magazine usually limits the useable length.
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the OAL's listed are minimum. Any shorter than the listed OAL will raise pressures dramatically with just as little as .005 too much depth. The 9mm is a round that operates at the ragged edge of the pressure curve, that is how such a small package can be so good compared to say the 38 special.As long as they are no shorter than listed and as stated, they fit in the magazine,all is good. Don't go out too far or poor performance and cycling problems will occur.