In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Another Swaging Question...

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
I've never processed and loaded brass that has the military crimp...what all is involved and is it a difficult/lengthy process. What is the best (fastest and easiest) method and tool for doing this process? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    You can use primer pocket reamers if there is just a few to do. The RCBS swager is pretty fast once it is set up. Using it is just like sizing a piece of brass. The Dillon swager is faster, but more expencive.I use the RCBS, and it does a very good job. Just swage the primer pocket and it is ready for a new primer.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Swaging is pretty fast, once set up. You can run them as fast as you can manipulate the handle and place another case.

I bought the Dillon years ago, because of the volume of military cases I ran through at the time. As mentioned...I used the RCBS unit for a number of years and found it acceptable.

You adjust the unit till you get the proper swage on the pocket. Some experimentation might be necessary to not over swage.

Cutting the crimp never appealed to me..wanted all the brass there I could get.
  • Options
    TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the RCBS military crimp remover. Works just fine.

$14.99 at Cabelas.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is not difficult at all. I would rather swage primer pockets than trim. For me swaging is faster than trimming. I use the Dillon as I swage several thousand cases a year. I also have the RCBS and it works just fine. The fastest and easiest is the Dillon. It does cost quite a bit more. Swaging adds an extra step the first time you process your brass but then you don't have to worry about it again.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Well I have used RCBS Swager, trimmer and now a Dillon.

The RCBS swager works well for small batches of brass. It does seem to put a beating on your bench as your down pull pushes the brass over the swager. Then on the upstroke it has to pull the swager out which sometimes takes a little effort.

I have a trimmer in my prep center which I really like and makes a nice clean case. Same problem comes in with doing more then a few, your hand goes numb from pressing down on the trimmer.

I just got a Dillon 600 and have run about a couple dozen rounds though it to try it out. I have a LOT of crimped brass to do and I think this is going to work out well.

You are semi close and if you ever want to make a day trip you are more then welcome to come up and try my stuff out.

DSC06637.jpg
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep in mind when swaging different brands/types of cases require adjusting for the correct amount of swage. Too much and you ruined the case
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nwcid
    Well I have used RCBS Swager, trimmer and now a Dillon.

The RCBS swager works well for small batches of brass. It does seem to put a beating on your bench as your down pull pushes the brass over the swager. Then on the upstroke it has to pull the swager out which sometimes takes a little effort.

I have a trimmer in my prep center which I really like and makes a nice clean case. Same problem comes in with doing more then a few, your hand goes numb from pressing down on the trimmer.

I just got a Dillon 600 and have run about a couple dozen rounds though it to try it out. I have a LOT of crimped brass to do and I think this is going to work out well.

You are semi close and if you ever want to make a day trip you are more then welcome to come up and try my stuff out.

DSC06637.jpg

Nice set up! I've never bulk loaded .223 and .308, but I'm getting ready to do some stock piling...
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC

Nice set up! I've never bulk loaded .223 and .308, but I'm getting ready to do some stock piling...

Thanks. I am in a batch of .223 right now and have lots of .308 to do. Offer still stands if you are wanting a day trip sometime.