In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

new guy to trapp and skeet [?]

ssrt3ssrt3 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
hey guys i am just getting into trap and skeet as well as reloading
so far what i got a charles daly du 12ga pump
qorking on the reloader got a couple of prosbects out there now

so i guess what i am asking is for any sugestions on equment that i need or gear i should get before going to the range
wich wont happen till it gets a little warmer.

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trapandskeet is not all one word and it is not all one sport. Unless you are just plinking around, you will do better to pick one and learn it well before moving to the other. And I think you should know both before jumping into sporting clays.

I think it is easier to learn skeet first and then add trap. I did it the other way around and I have never been as good at skeet as trap. But you will have to get good with that pump gun, Skeet has four pairs of doubles every round (of 25 targets.)

MEC loaders are pretty much the standard in the field. They make a number of models, the 600 Junior will get you by for a good while.
  • Options
    ssrt3ssrt3 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    sorry for the confisuion i do know that it is not one sport i am more or less looking for sugstions on what to prepare myself for
    because i have never done eather trap or skeet.

as for the pump that is what i have been shotting my hole life so i think i am ok with it but i wanted to give it a try before i went out and bought an automic (cant spell) on that subject any sugstions on a new automaic shotgun 12ga or course.
  • Options
    mx88mx88 Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    650 mec for the reloader. an auto is ok for trap singles if you put a shell catcher on it. picking up empties is a pain. the most important thing you need for trap or skeet is money and plenty of it.......good luck they are great games
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    For the shooting part, you'll want some easy way of holding 25 shells. I use a dove hunting vest, some use pouches, etc. Helps to have a place to put safety glasses and hearing protection too.

I'd say to wait a bit on the reloading - get a flat of shells at walmart or similar, you'll need the empties anyway. The range you end up shooting at will probably have a buy/sell/trade board, you can get a set up that way fairly inexpensive and maybe some help setting it up and cranking out your first loads.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    You can get a functional shooting vest cheap enough that has pouches for the ammo built in, and deep pockets for the empties. A strap on shoulder pad is good for the recoil.

I can usually bust 20-25 on trap with most any gun worth salt, skeet I find harder and usually hit in the 17-20 range. Then again I'm just using a plain jane mossberg pump, or sometimes a Baikal single shot for the trap.

Use modified or improved chokes to start, you may want to invest in a skeet choke though at some point.