In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.30-06 Springfield

Ruckin69Ruckin69 Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
Just got a 28 inch Pro Hunter .30-06 barrel with a Bushnell scope and wanted to sight it in and start shooting. What grain should I start with and I know that every gun shoots different bullets differently, which ones would you recommend I start with?
Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are going to hunt with it Why not start with the bullet that you would like to hunt with, and go with that manufacture's load data and wring her out. Use the starting loads and work your way up. Happy Shooting !!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I will be hunting with it at some point but can't in NJ, so I will just be shooting it at the range for now until I go deer hunting where I can use it. I would love to get the best of both worlds and find affortable ammo I can use at the range and on the hunt, but would just like to get it ready and have fun with it for now. I was thinking 150 grain Remington. I've shot that in my 7mm but they are expensive. Hornady's are cheaper but are they accurate?
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Get a box of all the weights you want to shoot and try them all. Then stock up with the ones the gun likes.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ooops I forget that not everyone handloads.
  • Options
    shooteroneshooterone Member Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, Hornady is a accurate and high quality round. Too bad you are not into reloading. This would be a perfect opportunity for you to find the right load for your new rifle.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ruckin69
    I will be hunting with it at some point but can't in NJ, so I will just be shooting it at the range for now until I go deer hunting where I can use it. I would love to get the best of both worlds and find affortable ammo I can use at the range and on the hunt, but would just like to get it ready and have fun with it for now. I was thinking 150 grain Remington. I've shot that in my 7mm but they are expensive. Hornady's are cheaper but are they accurate?

Spend some money on reloading equipment first. Then you can play with bullet weights and diffeent powders to find the sweet load for your rifle.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Reloading is going to be my next hobby! For now I am just buying ammo. Each box is around $30 so I'm trying to to this as cheap as possible. I guess I'll try the Hornady's and see how they work.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Save your brass and police up what others leave behind. I haven't had to buy any brass in years, because where I shoot it's all over the place. if I didn't pick it up it would go to waste. I beleive it was Calvin Coolidge that said "waste not, Want not" [:)]
  • Options
    flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I pick up brass every time I go to the range. If you don't have a use for it you can sell it or trade it for something you can use. I just finished selling the brass I picked up this summer/fall that I don't use for over $140 on the auction side. Not bad for a bit of effort. It was easily worth the effort for 8 pounds of "free" powder I'll spend it on.
  • Options
    TN_HUNTERTN_HUNTER Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a tikka and a browning a-bolt both are 30-06. I shoot the hornady btsp light mag 165 and 180 grain and both guns love it. Hornady makes great ammo and is very accurate. I have shot federal vital shock 165 and 180 grain nosler ammo and it shoots great in both guns also.
  • Options
    bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    I have had very good luck with the 150 gr Core-Lokts. I've had several 30-06 rifles over the years and they all seemed to like these. A plus side is they are some of the cheapest rounds to buy..good luck