In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloads for 243

264fan264fan Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
Just bought 2 243 rifles and want to reload, have been loading for many years but never for the 243. What are my best powder choices for lighter bullets?

Comments

• Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had good accuracy using 70g Nosler BT's with Varget. It was made to be consistent in all weather conditions (not heat sensitive).
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back around 1960 I bought a nearly new Winchester model 70 in the heavy barreled varmint configuration for $72 (Yeah, I know!) The first load I tried was 40 gr. of then surplus H4895 with 75 gr. Sierra hollow point bullets. The load shot so well, I never saw any reason to change. I used a lot of H4895 in those days because it was 75 cents a lb. in bulk (bring your own coffee can). Now I use either Hodgdon or IMR 4895. IMR is a little slower of the two. Good luck.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I've done a lot of reloading for the .243 but I usually use the heavier bullets. I really like the Nosler 95 Grain BT's...
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can't beat H414 - max vel, target accuracy, runs like water through a measure. Put it under a Nosler 100gr for deer and an 80 for varmints at long range.
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been using 46.5 Gr. of win-760 under the 65Gr. Hornady V-Max. and they group very well out of my M-70. 760 goes through the measure like water too. Neck sizing is a good idea if you are looking for best accuracy and case life !