In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AR-15 Build - Project Thread (Pictures, etc)

thowlethowle Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
Guys and Gals,

Not sure how you all do things around here, but I saw one or two of these floating around so I figured I will start one and keep adding to it as it happens -- a project build and update thread to show status of a project and pictures/write-ups as it progresses.

I'm about to start my first AR-15 custom build, and I want to do it right -- so after tons of research I've finally decided on what I want, where and how to get it -- so feel free to offer feedback.

First off, let us take a look at the "parts list".

Build Parts Listing
Upper Receiver and Barrel:
CMMG 14.7" M4A1 SOCOM Upper w/Permanent Hider
A3 Receiver
Semi-Auto Carrier
Upgraded to an E.G.R.E.S.S Bolt Upgrade
Upgraded T-Handle to PRI-Gas Buster
Standard Anodized Ramps
A2 Post
F Marked Front Sight Base
Round Forward Assist
M4 Handguard-Double Heat Shield
Detachable Carry Handle
A2 Birdcage Flash Hider

Lower Receiver:
CMMG MOD4SA Stripped Lower Receiver

Lower Parts Kit:
DoubleStar Standard Lower Parts Kit (LPK)

Stock:
Bravo Company (BCM) Military-Spec GEN-2 6-Position Collapsible Stock (black)

Buffer Tube / Weight:
Standard (-h) buffer weight

Magazines:
x5 of the MagPul Polymer P-Mag (Black, with NO Window) -- 30 round

So far that's it. The Lower Receiver and the Lower Parts Kit should have been here Thursday, but due to the crazy Ice Storm it's delayed and should be here sometime next week. The Lower required a FFL transfer, so that might take a little bit.

Also, the BCM Stock has been shipped and should be here next week, and as for the magazines I ordered them today off of GunBroker and they should ship Monday, and be here travelling time from Texas to Kentucky.

Standby for further updates and pictures as they become available!

Thanks,
Travis

Comments

• Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Looks like you have a good start. Just a few thoughts for you since you asked for feedback.

I personally would not get a short barrel w/FH. You are never going to be able to use anything else if your plans change. What if later down the road you decide to get a suppressor for it? How about some cool new super duper FH that you just have to have? You are either going to have to re-barrel or find another way to mount it.

As for the PRI GB charging handle I was going to get one for one of my suppressed AR's. Found out you can do the same thing with $0.10 worth of epoxy.

I personally dont care for the shape or feel of the M4 handguards. They are kind of an odd shape. I prefer the standard round guards if going with standard style guards. Plus the double heat shield was for running on full auto guns that get very hot. You will have to work very hard and have more then 5 mags to get your gun that hot. With that said I am doing and M4 build in .22 and since I want an "M4" it will have the M4 guards on it.

If you have not picked a grip yet I am a huge fan of the Ergo grip. I have them on all of my AR's and have made them fit on a few others.