In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

8x57mm A.I. data

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
I'm just finishing a project and need some loading data on the 8mm A.I. anybody?

Comments

• Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What does the A.I. stand for?
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Well I know that much- Ackley Improved.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you fireforming your cases with this load? It will save some powder and be easier on your barrel if you use an 8x57 starting load of something like IMR 4895 for this. With brass that fits the chamber you should start with loads at the upper end of 8x57 and work up 1 grain at a time until you reach expected velocty or notice pressure indicators. Lately I have been using velocity as a good indication of having reached upper pressure limits unless something else shows up first. If the manual says a maximum load should give xxx fps with xx grains of powder and I reach that velocity with 2 grains less, I stop there regardless of things like primer condition or bolt lift. I used to go strictly by looking at primers but that really only works if you anly use one kind of primer and I've probably pushed the limit with several loads that were a little too hot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks mobuck, but I haven't been able to find any reloading data for the 8x57mm a.i. fireforming is easy but I don't know what to expect as far as velocity goes. most u.s. 8x57mm data is 'down loaded' for the older mausers. I could do like an aquantence (I would'nt say 'friend') does and just keep adding powder untill the fired primers fall out by themselves...and then back off A grain[;)].
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MIKE WISKEY,

This is one of the very few that I haven't gotten involved with over the last few years. I've been working with the 8x63 Swedish cartridge instead.

There is an article in Handloader's Digest, 15th Ed; circa 1996 by Thomas Smith on the 8x57 Ackley Improved.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks non, amazon is great, got one coming[:D]