In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

First Trap Gun

SageSage Member Posts: 367
My 15 year old son wants to start trap shooting this spring. He is not a novice at shooting or guns just trap as am I. What would be a good shotgun to start him out with, budget is $1000.00 or less. Thanks in avance.

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sage,

I'd look at a Remington 870 TC Trap. They can be found for around $500.00 which leaves some money in your budget for trap shells to start practicing. I also suggest that you look into getting started reloading for Trap since you can eat up a bunch money buying commercial shells. Besides, it will give you and your son another thing to do together along with shooting.

Enjoy the experience!

Best.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the 870 TC is a great gun

as far as reloading goes, unless it is a 16 or 28ga you will not be able to save money reloading 12ga or 20ga shells

Not at current lead prices you will be 4.50 a box and you can get commercially loaded shells for that if you buy in bulk
  • Options
    336marlin336marlin Member Posts: 201 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 1100 is another great possibility, comes in all the same grades as the 870 and about the same price. Being a little lighter on recoil could be an advantage also. Odds are he will eventually wan't to shoot some doubles as this a fun game that will require concentration on the second birds trajectory rather than shucking the gun. This game can be played with most any gun with full or modified choke. It's lots of fun, and challenging if you take it to the competition level.
  • Options
    nambu1nambu1 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A second for the 1100. I shot trap for years using a Mossberg 500 APT, Browning BT99 and a Beretta Trap gun. The 1100 had hardly any recoil compared to the others.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    All the above are good recommendations. You may also wish to look at the new single shot topper trap gun for under $300. Single shot with trap stock and vented rib. Weight is a little light so you may wish to start with 1 oz. loads to reduce the recoil.

This gun is only for trap, so if thinking of other games like skeet or clays you may wish to opt for the auto. If so, buy a shell catcher for about $12 for the trap range.

Best of luck and welcome to a great sport.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    for a grand you should be able to find a browning bt-99
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started shooting trap 20 years ago with a remington 870 TB. I currently have a couple of TC's along with a couple of BT's. Others have already given some great advice. My advice would be to stick with either the 870 or 1100. Either of these guns allow for more that one shell to be shot w/o reloading the gun. If you get hooked on trap you will surely try doubles or continentals which are both alot of fun. Your son will just have to figure out whether he wants to pump the gun or just pull the trigger. I definately agree with geeguy about the 1 oz loads. Not only are they less recoil but you get an extra ounce of shot evert 8th shell. If your budget is $1000 you can probably get 2 guns. Good luck